Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hockey Puck lift, how bad is it for your car?

sumoco

so i have an 86 ea82 gl wagon that i want to lift about 2 or 3 inches (for now) because my buddy just gave me his old toyo alloy wheels and tires and i want to cram them under my 4x4.

ANYWAY, how bad for my car is a hockey puck lift, i've heard that they fail if you don't do it carefully but i feel like that is the case with any lift.

thanks for your time. 

To be fair brian if you search for hockey puck you come up with 23 threads,including this one.Not a one says what he is asking.TO the OP. You can lift via hockey puck,but why when you can make some blocks out of steel that have built in camber correction,with no correction you end up with alot of positive camber.Other than that the usual rules of suspension lifting these cars comes into play-more strain/wear and tear on the axles and balljoints,etc..

WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT BEING FAIR? hE PROBABLY DIDNA LOOK!

Anyways.

IIRC, a hockey puck lift can only be done with a separate spring and shock.

UNLESS, one put the puck on top of the strut. If that would have happened WE would have heard about it.

If it just means stacking them under the spring by the threes , then your are only gaining about 1 inch of lift anyway...

He MAY not have even looked at his struts!

cheers. or not..

Edited by monstaru
  • Like 1

Sounds like more trouble to use pucks on a unibody car because of the struts. Or was its said that it wasn't used on the strut???

Just dosent fit together in my head amd its weak. I did this option to a nissan pickip and that worked out. But its a body on frame truck so it dosent affect suspension (longer steering)

Id go wit camber correct strut tops at least and I'm still trying to work out the rear shocks being dropped in my head......

Sincerly

Marcus

the funny thing is, to the rest of the offroad world making a lift out of steel is redneck or ghetto.

What offroad world are you talking about?!? Its not in the world of offroad Subaru's, Jeep's, Toyota's, Suzuki's or custom Crawlers/Buggy's. The only world I can think of where using steel over a hockey puck would be considered redneck or ghetto, is hockey...please explain...Is this a new sport? Offroad Hockey?!

OP: Just make or buy a 2" lift, there's a million threads about this.

Josh

• Like 1

I believe Uberoo means people who make spacer lifts instead of actually buying larger springs and equipment.  They work fine for the street but for any real offroad you dont want to be using cheap spacer lifts when there are so many options for high quality spring/shock combos and leaf packs.

Unfortunately for us, spacer lifts are our only option.  In all honesty though with our weight and the wheeling we do, they are more then capable and I dont know of anyone in our group who has really had any issues with well built kits.

• Like 1

Wait I think I need to reword my post couldn't I just use hockey pucks as the spacer? Wouldn't it be the same thing just with a softer material? I understand that I would have to cut the rubber to the correct shape and that I couldn't just cram a whole puck in there but wouldn't it be doing the job?

And also I looked and searched for a long time and found one post that no one had replied to nada bunch of others that mentioned hockey puck lifts but nothing more than a couple words about it

Edited by sumoco

On a frame vehichle.....the body is just that.....a body.....a place for someone to sit.  If it's loosey goosey on flexible mounts, fine.....in fact that's what you want since truck frames flex.

With a Unibody.....the body is the frame.  If you mount the suspension points with flexible material.....your suspension parts are wobblin' around and would probably just break the pucks eventually and make you wreck the car.

Not to mention, Hockey pucks are too large to fit on the landings where some of the suspension to unibody mounts.  Also, you'd need lots of very long metric bolts to thread though the puck into the unibody.

Use blocks of steel.  Bolt the top of the block to the unibody with the short factory bolts.....then you can bolt the suspension to the bottom of the blocks using short, standard hardware which is much cheaper.

Or buy our kit.........HighGuysLifts.com

• 2 weeks later...