Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Replaceable CV boots (without removing axle??)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 teppichkopf

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 29 April 2004 - 01:06 PM

Anybody ever use replaceable CV boots? I've seen them at the parts store for $15 or so. These are the ones they do not require the axle being removed. They are one piece and secured with several screws.

#2 rugbyben

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • State College, PA

Posted 29 April 2004 - 01:12 PM

I have used then on a Honda. there call split boots right?

theyre okay, a super easy intall but they obviously have to be looked after and dont last as long. But much cheaper then getting the OEM job done.

#3 northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 29 April 2004 - 01:50 PM

What outlet are they offered at? I have a torn boot and would try one of these out until I need to replace the axle if I had one available.

#4 teppichkopf

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 29 April 2004 - 04:15 PM

I found them at the local parts store (a few years back). Don't know if they're available online. One of my boots is showing wear so I'm just planning ahead.

Split boots sounds like the correct name. A quick search turned up this website http://www.raxles.com/spitboot.htm

They don't recommend them. Looks like I'll just wait to replace the axle when the time comes.

#5 intrigueing

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • IL

Posted 29 April 2004 - 04:49 PM

I used one that glued together once you had it in place, complete POS. I would have been better off using duct tape on the ripped boot.

#6 edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 29 April 2004 - 08:48 PM

I used them twice and certainly don't recommend them for a permanent fix; what northguy wants as a temporary fix is probably the right idea. I found them not to last 10K miles. Also, cleaning the old joint of the old grease and adding the new grease is a messy, ugly job. Then putting on the fine-pitch nuts on the overly long screws is a real pain also. But the kits have their use if you're willing to put up with the aggravation. I think I bought them from B&B (local chain) or NAPA--can't remember which.

#7 northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 29 April 2004 - 10:06 PM

Thanks Ed. I was told of the boot problem last Fall and drove it all winter -and so far no problems - but with Spring (mud, gravel, wet, more mud, off-road use...) I'd better put something over it so the axle lasts as long as possible. It's not clacking yet, but left unattended, it'll surely go downhill in a hurry.

#8 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:40 AM

Geeze, you probably still have ice in the CV boot from driving the Glenn Hwy.

Even without mud, the grease has probably pretty much been washed out of the joint (no - not the kind of joint you get in Wasilla).

With all the nasty stuff on the streets during breakup, I'm surprised it isn't grinding. I would put a new CV on with a new boot!! No sense in doing the same job twice.

#9 northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:52 AM

I just didn't want to put a new axle in before I had to. A 2 piece boot would probably do for the time being, until I experience mechanical failure notification.

#10 LosDiosDeVerde86

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:03 PM

i, personally, wouldn't want to put on a cheap, screw on, cv boot. the axle on my legacy isn't that hard to take out anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users