Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gas mileage challange

OK I have a challange for you. In light of our recent prices of gas, what is the best mileage we can get from an 80's Roo?

I have had a 2x 5-speed get 32 consistantly. I am working on my second tank in my 92 Loyale auto and I am hoping for 28.

I had an idea. How much weight could we strip from one of these cars to increase the mileage? Carpet, trim, seats...Who is up for the test?

I would be down for that if I had a 3rd car, but alass.....

I know it sounds crazy, but tire size and style can help out alot too. Space saver spairs would be ideal, but I don't know how long they would hold up :-p

some little 165SR13's on aluminum wheels would work, and they are CHEEP. It helps to get the least agresive tread patern, and run them @ the max air presure. And make sure your'e toe is set dead on (1/32nd toe out for front drive cars) I have picked up as much as 3MPG with this trick in the past ;)

I hate to sound like one of those no-mind SUV drivers, but one of the reasons I drive a Subaru is for the 4wd advantage and the fun of being ablt to go off road. For that opportunity, I forego the high mileage of say a Toyota Prius. If I, too, can keep above 20 mpg, I am happy. But others may make concessions to get better mileage.

my brat's been getting about 220-260 to the tank depending on how much highway driving i do. I couldn't find in the owner's manual a capacity listed for the gas tank.. is the brat gas tank 13 gallons? 14? if i run it low, i always put in more than 12 gallons..

I have a 175 mile a day commute, almost all freeway, but over a mountain pass.

’87 GL wagon, carb, AT3 4WD – 22mpg at best, pretty good considering that’s all was rated new.

’87 RX 3door – 26mpg, but I’ve only been driving this one for a few weeks with a lot of around town driving and I’m having a hard time staying off the boost.:brow: Once I settle down I think should be good for 28-29 on the freeway runs.

Gary

I was consistently getting 33mpg in an 88 2WD XT, 5 speed, on 175/70/13 tires. My 92 Loyale with its 5 speed D/R gets a whopping 28mpg on the highway while riding on 26" PUGS!! The exhaust pipe is totally severed at the back door as well. I'll see how much I can squeeze out of it with an intact exhaust and stock wheels and tires next week.

86' ea82T 2wd 5-speed wagon = 34mpg (290k original miles)

89' ea81 4wd hatch = 32mpg (204k original miles and a hitachi carb)

85' rx sedan = 28mpg (modified, with an engine thats has 145k)

88' gl 4wd auto wagon = 16 mpg (bad trans is the cause)

now for a non soob

91' Nissan NX = 37mpg (got it for that reason and it was close to free)

hey steve.. i've always gotten good mileage out of my cars.. except for the slushbox wagon..

the NX i just got (i'm assuming) had the notorious 5th gear popout problem.. so someone stuck a 4-speed in it.. the 4th gear is acctually taller than the 5th gear in the 5-speed.. hence the better mileage..

now the rx on the otherhand, not sure how it gets 28 mpg.. sometimes more, sometimes less.. never acctually taken it on a trip either, so that mileage is all in town/country driving.. i'm sure it'd do better on a trip..

the little hatch, well, its name was Junky, cause it came from a junkyard, they said it had a bad fuel pump, i said no way.. drove her 6k miles in 2.5 months, then sold her to a friend.. never saw that bad fuel pump.. ran like a top.. best hitachi carb i've ever seen.. and for 204k, well lets just say, i got my $60 worth, lol...:banana:

i forget i will have to check i keep meaning to run the turbowagon empty until it dies and then put in exactly 5 gallons of gas from a can run it on the highway till it dies

then do the same for city driving

as far as excess weight removal... would cutting most of the back upper half of a 85 dl wagon count as weight savings?

i wonder what kinda mileage i get when i finish it and put the turbo motor in ..hmmm :)

throttle sensors can have a big effect on mileage you can re adjust them to run leaner than normal not recommended.. unless you have a air/fuel ratio gauge to see what your doing

maf sensors can be readjusted as well but even i wouldn't try that one.. well not with out a scope and some other stuff