Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A Tribute to a Subie

Yesterday as my son, Eric, was driving back to Seattle from the Stevens Pass Ski Area, a Honda SUV veered across the centerline and plowed into him.  He's okay--just some bumps, bruises and cuts from shattered glass.

But when he called to let me know what happened he was really dejected--partly because of the stress and trauma he had just endured, but mostly because he had lost his wonderful '92 Legacy sedan forever.

So many nice memories in that car.  Working together under the hood and under the car.  Searching pull-and-pay yards for Suabaru parts.  Marvelling at how peppy and smooth the EJ22 felt after a tuneup.  Road-tripping to Colorado "collegiate style," driving through the night, one sleeping (very comfortably) in the back seat while the other was at the wheel.  Meeting up with Larry Dew in Colorado Springs. 

Eric and I believe that car gave its all to protect him, perhaps saved his life.  A 22 year old car and its airbag delpoyed!  I was amazed.  That didn't happen with the '98 Honda that hit him.

Rest in peace, dear magical Subaru.  We shall never forget you.

Me ke Aloha Pumehana,

Nick

post-2068-0-93618000-1389658577_thumb.jpg

post-2068-0-71774100-1389658821_thumb.jpg

post-2068-0-17962800-1389658869_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry for your son's loss.  I know how it feels.

I recently lost my '94  Impreza thanks to a hit and run while my beloved Subie was parked overnight.  I was heart broken.  Prior to the Impreza, I owned a '85 Brown GL. 

I don't have a huge budget, hoping to find another slightly newer than a '94 subie to fill the hole in my heart.

-Katie

Thanks Katie--and everyone--for your kind thoughts.  Funny how we get so attached to a utilitarian hunk of metal, glass & rubber!

Main thing, Eric's okay and he's on the verge of acquiring a nicer, newer Subaru.  (Correction:  Not necessarily "nicer," just different.)

Pictures soon JesZeK!

Aloha,

Nick

• Like 2

Thanks Katie--and everyone--for your kind thoughts.  Funny how we get so attached to a utilitarian hunk of metal, glass & rubber!

Main thing, Eric's okay and he's on the verge of acquiring a nicer, newer Subaru.  (Correction:  Not necessarily "nicer," just different.)

Pictures soon JesZeK!

Aloha,

Nick

I feel the same way about my Loyale. I have owned it since new in 94 and boy, the memories I have with that little car. They become like family heirlooms. You put your blood, sweat, tears and memories into them.

Glad to hear Eric is OK.

• Like 1

Eric found his "new" car--just what he wanted, a '96 Outback with EJ22 and 5-speed tranny!  Needs a bit of work but overall very solid and runs/drives well.

Thanks for all your good thoughts everyone.

Here are some pix from the seller's Craigslist ad:

post-2068-0-39704700-1391358497_thumb.jpg

post-2068-0-49976700-1391358508_thumb.jpg

• Like 2