Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Full AWD swap into VW GTI body

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yellowjacket500

yellowjacket500

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Vernal, Utah

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

Was looking into doing an AWD Subaru powered VW rabbit GTI, they are just so light and small I think it would be sweet, especially building it for a turbo as well.  Just wondering if anyone has seen this done or has any input.  I believe that an Impreza is my best candidate since the wheelbase is around 4 inches longer.  Just not sure if the engine cradle is going to fit between my unibody.  Anyone willing to measure the Engine cradle on lets say a mid 90's Impreza wagon or sedan?  Still in the planning stages and trying to get another rabbit gti body.  Also where do people normally find complete drivetrains on here?  Junkyards? Classifieds?  Any input is appreciated.  Happy modding everyone!

#2 jmoss5723

jmoss5723

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

i can't offer much help here, but that sounds like a SWEET project! :headbang:

Good luck and keep us updated 

#3 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

Find a wrecked car it will be your best option, or a half cut from a JDM importer, then you will get the harness etc….

My personal opinion is you're biting of a HUGE chunk, and while I titally agree it sounds awesome and would be a cool whip, it is going to be quite the undertaking…… To put it lightly….

$0.02

#4 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,395 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

i have seen a ejawd swap into a vw caddy (rabbit pickup). it was awesome...get fabbing...

#5 yellowjacket500

yellowjacket500

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Vernal, Utah

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

I am more of a Vw guy. Does anyone know if there is a difference in physical size between the 2.5 in an outback and say a 2.2 or 2.0. Is the sohc smaller than the dohc? The 2.5 in my outback appears to be a little wide to fit between my strut towers.... maybe i am crazy.

#6 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,377 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

The only way something like that will fit is with the SOHC heads,DOHC are much to wide.Subaru EJ's are all about the same width,the different displacement comes from bigger bores.

#7 Ionlyhave3suubs

Ionlyhave3suubs

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

The DOHC 2.5 heads are significantly bulkier than the 2.2. The 2.2 will also have easier spark plug access in a tight engine compartment.

#8 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:35 AM

Why not just get a vr6 r32 golf and have it all done from the factory?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users