Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ swap Autocad file?

simenlang

hi, looking for a drawing of an adapter plate to put a EJ into my brat( as long as the drawing is to scale), im on a tight budget so buying one is not an option.(i have access to a CNC)

its my daily driven so the swap has to be done in a weekend. i need to have all the parts ready to go.

Thats why i am woundering if someone whould share, if they have one with me? send it on PM or something, I WILL NOT USE IT TO SELL ON, ONLY FOR ME, MYSELF AND I :)

based on the help i get from you guys i may make a project thread on it, if you are interested.

Sorry in advance if my grammar, et cetera is bad.

Thanks in advance for the help, i appreciate it.

:)

Edited by simenlang

Th

All good, we've got the message.

While this is not an autocad file it's certainly one way of producing your own adaptor plate.

Cheers

Bennie

That's the worst description of how to do it I've ever read.

The plates I sell are perfectly well fitted......and include the holes for the "little locator things" that "some have and some don't".     Otherwise known as locator dowels..Which all engines have, and you need all 4(2EA, 2EJ) for a correct alignment on these adapters.......which the writer of that page obviously didn't know.....pretty common knowledge, scary....I wonder how long it took for his input shaft beairngs to wear out?

PM me for prices on HighGuys adapter plates.  Steel, precicision made, hardware included.....WITH dowel holes (absent on some others plates)

Since I paid alot to have my plates programmed in Autocad and the initial run, and I sell said product....I do not wish to give away the file.

Edited by Gloyale

+1

Th

That's the worst description of how to do it I've ever read.

The plates I sell are perfectly well fitted......and include the holes for the "little locator things" that "some have and some don't". Otherwise known as locator dowels..Which all engines have, and you need all 4(2EA, 2EJ) for a correct alignment on these adapters.......which the writer of that page obviously didn't know.....pretty common knowledge, scary....I wonder how long it took for his input shaft beairngs to wear out?

PM me for prices on HighGuys adapter plates. Steel, precicision made, hardware included.....WITH dowel holes (absent on some others plates)

Since I paid alot to have my plates programmed in Autocad and the initial run, and I sell said product....I do not wish to give away the file.

The last bit, I completely agree with. Designing something and putting it into production is a time consuming thing as well as costly as hell.

I'm sorry but not having the money for a adaptor plate and having to do it in a weekend is going to end in headache. Save up some money and take some time off, rushed/under budget projects never end well.

Rather than using cardboard I would use plywood instead to make a template,because with cardboard you can be a bit off and the holes will line up,with plywood the holes have to be more accurate.

gloyale I might just buy one your plates,115 for an aluminum plate sounds great.I could my old plate but I am not a fan of drilling the holes out of the engine and enlongating them to make it fit.

Thanks sir Gloyale, next time I do a swap im definitely going to buy as much as I can thats already done, especially that plate. Anyone looking to do this swap BUY THIS PLATE and save yourself the headache, plus by the time mine was done I had spent $100 on grinder wheels, saw all blades etc, I really should've just bought one.

Thanks sir Gloyale, next time I do a swap im definitely going to buy as much as I can thats already done, especially that plate. Anyone looking to do this swap BUY THIS PLATE and save yourself the headache, plus by the time mine was done I had spent $100 on grinder wheels, saw all blades etc, I really should've just bought one.

Cut it out with a torch/plasma cutter then use the grinder to remove any rough spots.

Edited by Uberoo

Just my two cents but I bougt a cheap piece of plexi glass from home depot and held it to the trans and traced it with a Sharpe( I clamped it to the trans) than I took it and did the same to the engine. The bottom two holes line up perfectly and than you just mark the holes on top and the aalignment Dowel. Easiest way to make a template in my opinion

• Like 2

Just my two cents but I bougt a cheap piece of plexi glass from home depot and held it to the trans and traced it with a Sharpe( I clamped it to the trans) than I took it and did the same to the engine. The bottom two holes line up perfectly and than you just mark the holes on top and the aalignment Dowel. Easiest way to make a template in my opinion

Sounds resonable.

But the bottom holes would need to be fit TIGHTLY. 

The holes in the trans are oversize, so you can't rely on those bolt holes to locate the plate to the trans.

I suppose if you made your first holes the bottom ones and made them tight fit to the studs it could work OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Uberoo, i wish I had a plasma cutter that would've been awesome. I did however have a portable torch set made by Lincoln and sold at home depot at least thats where I got mine. I filled the acetylene tank which was only a 10lb and started torching. Man, it did not go too well at first because my torch tip was screwed up and by the time I bought another I had used up too much gas. I was able to at least get about halfway through and used my grinder to finish it up. Seriously though I'd rather start buying pieces from people bit by bit and just have fun putting it all together next time ha. Except the wiring harness I really enjoyed doing that.

gallery_4164_16_1360569747_3503.jpg

Thats what my dad and I came up with when we made mine. It's all in inch measurements. It dropped right into place and was snug on the dowel pins which is the crucial alignment point. I made siamese bolts for the top ones but theres a few different approaches.

I can email an excel file of our measurements and calculations.

Edited by WoodsWagon

thats what i did is lined up the studs on the engine first. those holes fit very snug which i was happy with and the top ones are loose which i figured doesnt matter much. I also made siamese bolts for the top but out of curiousity what are some other ways? my welds seem to be holding fine but i suspect them if theres ever failure Could you drill through the motor or trans and run a bolt through both?

• 1 month later...

thats what i did is lined up the studs on the engine first. those holes fit very snug which i was happy with and the top ones are loose which i figured doesnt matter much. I also made siamese bolts for the top but out of curiousity what are some other ways? my welds seem to be holding fine but i suspect them if theres ever failure Could you drill through the motor or trans and run a bolt through both?

You might be able to run a bolt from the transmission into the engine but you would need to JB weld the holes on the engine and tap them for the bolt.