Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok im goin for it!

im ready to pluck my first subie engine! its in a gl10. so i have just a few questions. what should i do with the intake? there are so many hoses and pipes, i dont know what to do, should i pluck it all as one unit or alone?? also what things should come of the engine before removal, other than p/s, and ac?

keep in mind illl need to replace the headgaskets at the least so i will need to address the intake problem eventually. im sure theres more but i cant thinks as of now. thanks alot

tyler j

I take it, the engine is SPFI? Heres what to take off and in order:

1. Disconnect Battery, Pull Raidator

2. Unbolt engine mounts

3. Unbolt exhaust

4. Disconnect Fuel Lines

5. Remove Air intake boot, unhook throttle cable

6. Unbolt engine from tranny (4 bolts - 2 top and 2 on the bottom 17mm I believe for the bottom bolts)

7. Put jack on tranny crossmember and lift up 2 inches

8. Get a buddy and lift out the engine

You dont have to remove intake or P/S pump to pull the engine. Unbolt the A/C pump and set it back on the shelf where the spare tire sits

As for pulling the intake for replacing the gaskets, just unbolt the 6 bolts and pull the entire intake off.

When you get the new gaskets, makes sure you ask for the thick exhaust gaskets (they will try to give you really thin crappy gaskets)

Good luck

ok thanks very much, great responce, but last night though, i ran into an annoying problem, i cant get my ac compressor off. its got like twelve brackets holding it on, what comes what doesnt? its the kind of problem where you wrench and wrench and nothing ever moves!! :mad: anyway, other than that i should be ready, thanks again torxxx.

also its a turbo ea82, i thought that was mpfi. oh well

thanks again.