Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

87 XT air suspension swap

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 makipsee

makipsee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • central islip

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

I am working on a friend of mines car its a 87 xt GL-10... the original air suspension is busted. he brought it somewhere and they installed aftermatket air suspension i think from a truck and did a bunch of other things with the wiring so that pretty much threw out me trying to repair the original air suspension... but i believe its to much for the car when he drove it he said it was bouncing all over the place. So I drove it to my house with defalted shocks... THAT was a fun ride... never laughed so hard in my life... anyway i want to remove it completely and i have been sitting on the forums reading thread after thread and im sooo confused... with EA82,xt, xt6 this and that... i just want to know what suspension do i have to use to convert it to regular struts. and is there anyway to "trick" the computer so the the dash board isnt going nuts. Thank you in advance..

Edited by makipsee, 18 January 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#2 ruparts

ruparts

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • dallas, tx.

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

Hi,

good  questions.  in the short sence xt6 front struts DON"T fit the car you're working on at all,,  the rears will,   but only 2wd xt6 had spring shocks and struts, all 4x4 xt6 had air suspension originally.     any of the ea82 cars, wagons, xt's, coupe,  series will fit both ends of your friends car,, .. now is the rub,,  if the car you're working on is a 4-wheel drive type, you will need to source  the rear shocks & springs etc from a  4-wheel drive  car, wag, coupe 3 dr.   if you buy new rear shocks  the springs and seats etc can work on them from either a 2wd or a 4x4 setup but it is better to have the correct ones,,   on the front same thing applies,, any ea82 series car, wagon , xt , coupe 3dr etc  will fit on your friends xt,, but the 4x4 versions sit higher, so you want to source the version that matches your friends car, unless you intend to change the ride height , up or down depending on choice of parts.

as for the dash , once all the stuff is un-plugged and disconnected the lights should go off , if not you can unplug the air system control computer, i think it's under the pass front seat or that lower sill panel , when  you get to there we can get it's location nailed down for sure.

just find any ea82 setup that is like what your friends car is,, either 4x4 or 2wd,, because if you put 2wd rear shocks on a 4x4 it will raise the rear about 3"-4" , otherwise it fits but the shocks are different length,  same thing with fronts but not as drastic.

Edited by ruparts, 18 January 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#3 makipsee

makipsee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • central islip

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

thanks for the quick reply... my next problem.. what is a xt6 and ea82? lol and the car i am working on is a awd 5spd 2 door coupe

#4 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,201 posts
  • KY

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

May want to adjust the air pressure in the current set up before going through the hassle of replacing it. 

#5 makipsee

makipsee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • central islip

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

he said when there was 40 psi in it it was bouncing like crazy still... and when i first looked at the car there was like 20 psi and it was like on the ground.... i will try jacking the pressure up but does anyone know what the psi should be around on average?

#6 mr sarcastic

mr sarcastic

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

A comfortable air ride pressure should be 35-40, not sure why his would be bouncy at that pressure. We had air ride in my gti and it got harsh at 60. The less pressure the more comfortable, until you start bottoming out the struts/shocks. Sounds to me like the air struts were designed for a vehicle much heavier.

#7 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,923 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

thanks for the quick reply... my next problem.. what is a xt6 and ea82? lol and the car i am working on is a awd 5spd 2 door coupe

85-89 DL or GL, wagon, sedan, 3 door

90-94 Loyale all.

Any regular XT  (4cyl, not XT6, not GL-10)

XT6 is 6cyl version and completely different hub/knuckle attachment and most all were air suspension anyhow.

#8 makipsee

makipsee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • central islip

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

ok thanks everyone for all the info im going to tackel it next weekend and ill let u know how i make out. thanks again!!

#9 makipsee

makipsee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • central islip

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

Gloyale so 85-89 wagon struts will fit on the 87 xt GL-10

#10 86 Wonder Wedge

86 Wonder Wedge

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Akron, OH

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

The sedan front struts will match best to the original ride height of the XT and rear struts from any 85-94 EA82 (the motor/chassis code) sedan, 3door or wagon will work but need the correct 2WD or 4WD.

#11 makipsee

makipsee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • central islip

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

awesome thanks again!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users