Ultimate Subaru Message Board

got stuck on N-405 today

well, i was driving along to work, heading to 520 to redmond, and for soem reason my car looses power, then i see the tach is at 0rpm, so i down shift and try to go, nothing, no power at all, then she just dies.

so i jump out, no sholder mind you, and quickly swap the coil. try again, nothing.

so i coast it backwards, against traffic under a over pass to get some shade to do my magic.

so i pop off the dizzy cap and tap over then engine, its not moving so i know its timing belts. well they only have like 2k at the most on them, so i get pissed and cuss up a storm at napa for about 10 minutes until a state trooper comes by, and makes me push my car forward, back into the sun mind you, so i am farther off the side of the road.

so anyways, i finally get ahold of my dad to bring new timing belts.

ends up my driver tentioner's bearing locked up, cage broke, and froze, so then i had my brother, who came with my dad, stay with my car and we came home.

1 hour later i was back with new tentioner's driver/passenger, so i pop them on, timing everything, get it running, by now its like 8pm, it died at 3:45pm.

i get her going and there is a nasty ticking, ends up its got no balls at all and seems to be running on only 2cyl's.

so i drive 10 miles to southcenter mall, and take off the junk again, retime the driver belt and vwa-la, fixed, well the whole time at the mall a security gaurd is talking with us while im working, he leaves.

i take it for a drive to make sure shes not nutered anymore, sur enough spinning them into 3rd, well i come back and pull back to my dads truck, security comes back and proceds to "write me a ticket", ends up he is just goofin with me, tells me not to do it again or he will kick me off the property.

so i get home now 11:15pm, car running great, and tired as hell.

Good Night,

Shean

PS,

was anyone driving south bound on 405 at about 4pm in a black brat with t-tops, if so i saw ya lookin :brow:

i take it for a drive to make sure shes not nutered anymore, sur enough spinning them into 3rd, :brow:

What the??

Which soob are you spinning em in third? Are you running the thin spare tires on the front?

Joshua

Doubting his cars power

What the??

Which soob are you spinning em in third? Are you running the thin spare tires on the front?

Joshua

Doubting his cars power

it was the 86 GL wagon, i would clarify when the tires break loose when shifting that is called spinning them, all i know is when i hit 3rd they broke loose, i have 4 people to concur that they herd then spin into second, and third.

I can attest that an EA82 will break them loose. I had Andrew's 87 GL turbowagon roasting the tires through part of third. I was chasin some butt munch down in his Acura that is gonna get beat into last week cause well he's a BLEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!

I thought I'd make this rated PG so the moderators wouldn't yell at me:D

Okay Russ I can totally believe a wound up turbo laying some rubber loose.

But an 86 NA gl wagon? Wow! I had an 86 gl-10 sedan that never broke loose and it was a turbo! I mean woah. Was the back end heavy? Tires old? Wet day? Am I driving wrong??

:brow:

Anyways I guess this grabbed my attention because I love fuel effeciency but I would love the power to "break loose"

Joshua

nope im running my 195/70/13's at 28psi when i did it, today i swaped to my 15inch pugs and im running 195/55/15 in the front and 205/50/15 in the rear until i get new tires.

but i have a custom shifter that i made, gutted emisions, custom ram-air settup, also custom exhaust, so right now its got around 90-100 hp i would hope, from the stock 82.

::splutters like his NA engine on quick take offs::

Oh.:-p

i dunno, i can hope for 90hp huh? but i mean after taking off that junk stock muffler, gutting the cats, doing a custom ram-air settup to get more air in, plus other things, oh, also i got an accel coil, i just need to get some bigger plug wires. i wanna dyno it and see what numbers are being put on the ground,

eventually i want to put in a 6cyl, or EJ22G and the full time AWD tranns.

I am nervous about doing anything with my Cat. i am an earth concious being and dont know if I can conciously support an increased enviromental impact from my vehicle.

Bigger pipes sound expensive I am looking to sell this car soon. (not the greatest rig)

Debating between a tubo wagon (would love the the earlier models because the timing belts intimidate me) and a tubo xt or xt6 Not to sure. i have also heard great things about the ej22t...

But I do like great gas mileage, decent emissions, and some ooph when I want it.

Ram air and turbos seem like the ticket. I reach a point of pushing my gas pedal down when it just doesnt do ****. I can only assume its either spark or air. ::shrug::

All in time.

Joshua

i felt the same way, but when it was clogged, and i have no money to pay for it it was the best solution until i get the rest of the parts for the full custom exhaust, 1 7/8's from heads to a 2 1/4inch pipe to a camaro LT-1 cat, then to a same size cherry bomb, then a crome tip out the back.

just for the record, my bone stock 89 GL wagon (only mod is a cherry bomb muffler) will regularly "break loose" in third gear when I jump into it, and I just put new tires on two weeks ago! really seems to like the asphalt type pavement, but will do it on concrete too, wet or dry!! :brow: