Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Zero-60

Just for fun, my 10 year old and I decided to time the zero-60 acceleration on the 85 GL. The results: 35.4 sec ! Advancing the timing dropped it to a blistering 23.9 sec. If all the freeway on-ramps are downhill, I should have no problem.

For comparison my Daily Driver 98 Forester w/ auto is 11.7 seconds. No Buggati Veyron but it at least is not a road hazard.

• Like 1

My leone turbo stw took around 9 seconds from 0 to 100 km/h (0-62mph) when stock. After some minor mods it took around 6,5 seconds. Even my NA EA82 sedan took around 12 seconds from 0 to 100km/h. If i remember correctly my -88 coupe (EA82 body) leone with EA71  and FWD takes around 16 seconds to do the same.

Our numbers are all over the place. Wonder what gives.

My GL runs immaculate, is a very low mileage motor (I *just* hit 78k), and only ever drinks premium (93 here).

I power-shifted it through the gears keeping my foot firmly to the floor on the gas in between throws. Very minimal wheel-spin when I dropped the clutch in first because 80 horsepower.

And I got 22 seconds....

OP claimed over 30 seconds. Reasons? Granny shifting? How did advancing the timing change his time so much? Is there that big a difference? I'm running stock timing. 8* I think.

This could get interesting.

I'm going to get out my old G-tech and do some pulls to see what it says before and after tuning, then I'll swap the weber in and see what's what. Stay tuned...

*EDIT could not get the Hitachi to be very consistent, - will post weber result soon...

Edited by rrgrr

Our numbers are all over the place. Wonder what gives.

My GL runs immaculate, is a very low mileage motor (I *just* hit 78k), and only ever drinks premium (93 here).

I power-shifted it through the gears keeping my foot firmly to the floor on the gas in between throws. Very minimal wheel-spin when I dropped the clutch in first because 80 horsepower.

And I got 22 seconds....

OP claimed over 30 seconds. Reasons? Granny shifting? How did advancing the timing change his time so much? Is there that big a difference? I'm running stock timing. 8* I think.

This could get interesting.

My engine has new gaskets, new dist cap, rotor and wires, 90K and an automatic. The timing was so retarded (however set at 8deg) that it ran like it was on 3 cylinders. Advancing to beyond the 20deg mark made it run very smooth. Valve timing is dead-on. I tried going back a tooth on the distributor, but it still ran lousy when timed by the book. I gave up asking why and just drive it.

In the right lane. :D

• Like 1

Oh my God, cars this slow should be getting 40+ mpg. What the hell gives?? What's the point of making cars so damn slow?????

Not really. First off you need to compare them to other cars of the same years. They were getting almost 40 compared to other cars in the day. They did not have the advanced computers we do today.  If they were built today they probably would be up in that neighboorhood

• Like 1

Well Neds may be skewed...

Hes got 197.5K on him. Weber 32/36 and a glasspack... I think thats it as far as "performance" upgrades...

With my fat arse behind the wheel I got between 11 and 12 seconds on the stop watch. However Im thinking Ill just video tape it... I did a few different pulls on pretty flat land... My speedometer skips a bit at 55 so I had to estimate.. video within the next few days.

I was also fully warmed up (fans ran their cycle) and over 1/2 tank of fuel.

Not really. First off you need to compare them to other cars of the same years. They were getting almost 40 compared to other cars in the day. They did not have the advanced computers we do today.  If they were built today they probably would be up in that neighboorhood

Toyota and Datsun had a damn good mpfi system in the early 80s, it took Subaru until 1990 to come up with a comparable fuel injection system. I hold Subaru accountable for that.

Nip I counted 15 by my watch. my watch may be off. It also looked like you were already rolling when you floored it. That thing sounds mean though. No shifting lol so strange! Guess you guys really are right about the inconsistencies.

Maybe I'll brush the snow off the Loyale and take him out on the highway real quick...