Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny bug

Hi folks! This site was recommended to me by john from another site. I had never used forums before but my brother suggested I try. Maybe someone can suggest something or a site I can find a tutorial. I have a '83 wagon auto 4WD GL. The drive gear acts like it stays in 1st. I replaced the vacuum diaphram and the fluid and then it ran great for over a month. Two days ago it happened again. Well sometimes even new parts go bad so I replaced the diaphram again for $40 bones. I pulled out the govoner it looked great. The line is not clogged . No luck this time. 1st, 2nd, and R works great but drive won't shift up. Thanks for any help!

Helena

Thanks alot for the response!!! How's the weather in Alaska or in OR?? I cleaned the governor the first time around. Do you think I need to do it again? I also had the pan off the first time. No chips, Fines, or parts on the bottom. I took the pan off just to see where the pin goes from the vacuum diaphram. The pin sells seperatly and I found one in N.Y. It cost me a buck-and-a-half and $20 bones for shipping!!! Do you know what the other end does? It has to be some sort of ball valve or spring doohicky. I have thought about taking it apart to see what it does because I also think the problem may just be lack of fluid somehow. I can't find a diagram to show me how it accuates.

You really need to dissasemble the governor and dress all the edges of the moving parts. When you think it's moving pretty good.... do it again. Keep filing on the edges (whetstone and a drill works well for this) till there is NO friction or stickieness at all. I'm guessing this is the cause of your problems. Shifting problems like you describe are almost always the governor. There's a walk through with pictures in the online repair manual...

GD