Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The lo-down on Keyless entry/security system?

Trying to figure out if a 95 Legacy with the security system (has the blinky red LED in the button blank under the instrument panel on the left side of the steering wheel) would also have the keyless entry antenna so I could program a remote to it?

Girlfriends car. 95 LSi auto, leather, sunroof. She'd like to have keyless entry. I'm not familiar enough with the keyless system to know if its a given that if you have the blinky LED, you also had keyless entry. So I'm guessing ill have to fumble around under the dash some more and find the security module?

If its possible this car could have Keyless remotes programmed to it, what style of remote(s) would I need to find?

Google tells me it likely originally came with a Code Alarm GOH-M24 remote. Which was very common among several manufacturers, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, BMW, Subaru... A few others. I occasionally see this style remote in junkyard cars so I'm thinking that I can grab one (or three) to try and see if it works. Somewhere I also have a newer Ford 2 button remote (the little square kind) that I may try to program.

Am I on the right track here?

If it is the OEM security system it will also have keyless entry as the keyless module is also the security module. security was a upgrade consisting of a siren, shock sensor, starter interrupt, and valet button/LED.

As long as everything is still intact/plugged in, whatnot, you will just need to locate the momentary switch at the end of the two very thin brown wires. Depress this switch while turning the key to the ON position. Locks will cycle three times. Keep the switch depressed while pressing lock on the remote twice, and locks will cycle to indicate programming was successful. The remote is indeed the GOH-M24.

I just installed this very system into my 93 Impreza, so everything is still fresh in my mind.

Thanks! Glad the programming directions I found are correct. I wasnt sure since they came from a 97 Owners manual, but the procedure is the same as you just said so ill give it a try.

Ill go button hunting this weekend. Hopefully I can find that remote somewhere around here and check the ID number on the back to see if its compatible.

Searched for an hour today, no luck finding the button.

Checked on the interwebz and didn't find much help. Read that it could be mounted near the hood latch (not there), or that it could be taped in the harness with the test mode and diagnostic plugs (not there either).

Also read that the keyless entry module should be mounted under the dash on the drivers side, pocs of the module showed it is black (plastic housing?) and says "Keyless Entry Module" on the side. Found no such thing in this car. There was a module with a silver (metal) case, but the description on the side just said "Cont. Unit".

What I do know, is that the car does appear to have a factory installed security system. The LED is mounted to a PCB inside the pop-out blank, and has "Security" printed in white on the blank just beneath the LED. The wiring for the LED runs over to a harness which is encased in a white plastic protective guard, which is bolted to the inside of the dash. Very limited access, you couldn't add wires to that harness without removing the dash.

Looking at the wiring diagram for the Security system for 95, I see no switch for programming, and no wiring or references to a keyless entry module. I can find no diagram for a keyless entry system for 95.

So unless I'm just missing something, I have a 95 with Security, but no Keyless Entry.

Does anyone have pics, or know for sure where a Keyless entry module would be mounted from the factory in a 95 Legacy?

Any pics of the programming button/switch or exactly which harness its supposedly taped up in?

Searched for an hour today, no luck finding the button.

do you have the remote entry unit?

if yes, then there is a button.

if no remote entry unit, then no button, unless some one remove the unit.

the button is likely wrapped in tape as part of the wiring harness for the unit.

follow the wires that are plugged into the unit and look for a fat spot in the tape.

the button comes concealed, and will still be that way until someone uses it.

i think the button has brown wires??

Edited by johnceggleston

Probably will be this weekend before I get to mess with it again.

John I have no idea if it has the remote entry unit. I could not find a unit that matches the descriptions Ive read of what the Entry module should look like, under the drivers side dash, which is where I've read it should be mounted.

Do you know where it's supposed to be mounted?

The next place I'm going to check is to the right of the glove box since the FSM shows that's where the connector should be for the Security Module.