Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 subaru 2 door hatctback

turbosubarubrat

Got this hatch on 8th of January for $250 non running missing the carb, distributor, coil, starter, rear windows, a lot of the interior, some ac components, and the radiator. My plans are to fix it and have it as a farm/off road rig thats street legal, so something like a 6 inch lift, 6 lug hubs, and some 15's just to start with. Last weekend i started working on it and got it running by putting on all the missing parts but its only running on 3 cylinders with 30psi in cylinder #1. Could be a crack in the head, hole in piston, cracked valve, bad seat, blown head gasket ect.(tried adjusting vavle clearance and it didn't help) Just going to put in a spare ea81 i have and get it going because why spend money when you have 2 known to be good motors to drop in. Ironically i got this in Lebanon and a spare motor i have is also from there so i might as well put it in since it has a new clutch. Another one is i bought a 84 brat on january 4th then sold my 83 turbo wagon on the 5th and bought this on the 8th.

DSCF5301.JPG

DSCF5300.JPG

DSCF5302.JPG

DSCF5311.JPG

DSCF5315.JPGDSCF5319.JPGDSCF5321.JPG

DSCF5323.JPG

DSCF5325.JPG

DSCF5327.JPG

DSCF5329.JPG

DSCF5331.JPG

Edited by turbosubarubrat
  • Like 1

The shell on this only has one ding on it so its very straight. Im willing to bet it hasn't even gone off road besides gravel; since the body is in such great shape considering it still has all 4 mud flaps. Extra parts come in handy especially when projects keep multiplying but you also have to keep getting parts cars to finish up  projects. Also Earl i just sent you a text.

Got everything put back together and drove around some. It needs the clutch adjusted better, hill holder clutch adjusted, retimed, some vacuum related stuff worked out but over all its doing better since its running on 4 again with a lifter tick in #3 cylinder. After driving around some and shutting it off then trying to start again it wouldn't since the alternator wasn't chargering the battery so I saw this as a great time to put in a 93 Nissan maxima alternator which I got in today but had to make a bracket since the factory one was was way off.

Put the 10 gauge extra wire on today and put a factory fuse link inline close to the battery until I get a 100amp fuse setup from the parts store or junkyard. I also put garbage bags on for the rear windows with duck tape until i get the rear window seals. I parked the 84 brat inside for now since it has electrical problems that need sorted out because the headlights cut out or don't even come on. Which sucks since I have to hold a flash light out the window along with my head so I can see while driving across are farm. I'm happy with the alt swap since it starts a whole lot better now and you can run everything without worrying about the alt being at 8v. She's definetly a lot happier now since you can start and drive her easily plus she shifts great. I kind of hit things right today first I finished up getting the hatch drivable then got to run around a little bit, after that I headed up to Vancouver with my parents and I bought a wagon hatch, front doors, almost new set of studded tires on wagon wheels, blower motor, cables, and shift knob for $50, then I went to pooparu's(Earl's) house to get the rear windows for $30 and got to take a look at all his cool gen 1 stuff to find out he had a gen 2 winch brush guard in great shape which I had to have for this for $100, then finally I went back home to sandy and bought a little welding art for $40.

Bad motor about ready to come out

DSCF5352.JPG

Spare one in

DSCF5355.JPGalt swap i used a transmission bolt and put more threads on plus cut off about a inch

DSCF5358.JPG

bracket made and alt put on

DSCF5360.JPGBrush DSCF5362.JPG

guard on

DSCF5363.JPG

DSCF5364.JPG

DSCF5365.JPG

DSCF5366.JPG

This blew a head gasket today and is putting compression into the radiator so im thinking gasket kit and get heads resurfaced or drop in one of my other two spares until i have a little more money to throw at her.

• Like 1

Started looking at the motor I'm going to put in this today that came out of a brat I got for free. Seems to be good since it turns over fine with a ratchet with no play in the crank and no metal on metal grinding or hitting. Water pump looks like it was replaced before it got and before it was parked/parted since its a lot cleaner than everything else plus it has no play and spins fine. When I drained the oil it looked dirty but no milkshake so the head gaskets should be good. I took off the oil pan since it looked like it was baking oil when it was running so I figured I would clean the inside/outside plus put fresh rtv on to seal up the pan. The intake was bolted on by 4 bolts out of 6 so I took it off because some hoses also need replaced plus I bet the carb would need rebuilt too so I'm just putting on another intake with new gaskets, hoses, and a carb I have that has been rebuilt for awhile.

• 3 weeks later...

I put in the motor a couple weeks ago and it runs good plus it doesn't over heat or anything like that. It goes pretty good too with no problems. Until this weekend, it kept blowing the fuse for the coil. The problem would start after the motor had warmed up to about the half way mark and would blow the fuse while driving. Yesterday I found out that the carb was part of the problem since I learned harbor freight fuses are only good at showing where the short is at because the plastic all around fuse melted while the aluminum stayed in one damn piece. So I just unplugged the carb harness and problem gone I just need to put on another sensor or get a weber.

• 1 month later...

Just been running it to get around the farm and its been going good with some work here and there. It started bucking when you tried to put any gas on the engine besides idle which took me forever to find out what was wrong and it turned out part of the fuel pump was clogged with sandy/filmy stuff stuck in the inlet fitting.

DSCF5377.JPG

DSCF5387.JPGDSCF5389.JPGDSCF5391.JPGMade

DSCF5422.JPG

DSCF5491.JPGDSCF5492.JPGDSCF5493.JPGDSCF5495.JPG

a wood handle for the hood release since the old one broke off

DSCF5497.JPGDSCF5498.JPGDSCF5502.JPGDSCF5506.JPGDSCF5508.JPGDSCF5510.JPGDSCF5567.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With a bend like that I wouldn't be surprised if you lost power

The angle isn't as much as it looks in the picture(above a 90 with a bigger opening because of how it was cut). Since a regular bender can't bend exhaust pipe without kinking it or distorting it when you cap it on both ends and fill it with sand. I just got a piece of pipe and cut it up to make the bend. I did the exhaust like this for when i build it into my wheeler which will have a 6+ inch lift so i dont have to worry about hitting the y-pipe and i can build a better skid plate. It will probably change once i get it lifted since i will have more room to put on a good curved bend. Surprisingly it hasn't lost any horses if anything it gained a few to make it more pepy. 

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, I have two of these both hatchback front-wheel, one with an automatic transmission in a second configuration cpx 

I'M LOOKING FOR GENUINE PARTS TO THESE CARS 

I need the right glass door and original exterior mirrors (buy) 

I am from Russia and I'm still hard to navigate the site, if you please write personal messages.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just picked up a 91 legacy sedan tonight for $175 with 151k on it. It's been hit in the passenger front fender area and the rear quarter panel. Runs really strong and drives fine. Looks like the hatch is getting ej swapped sometime :). I also have a deal going to get a 6 inch lift for her too. Now i just need to get another 5 speed d/r.

It runs fine the way it is but some of the jets that are in it are for a b2200 mazda. It's actually getting to much fuel that's why i bought a fuel regulator and redline jet kit off ebay the day before i bought the legacy...That stuff wont go to waste though since i can use it on my 85 brat that's getting a carb'd ej22. I think the pump jet or something is way to big on it that's why it's been parked. It dumps to much gas in the cylinder and revs to 5 grand on it's own when you tap the gas peddle then slowly goes back to idle.