Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 99 Outback engine swap woes

Greasyfingers

Needing a newer daily driver, I bought a 1999 Outback w/AT and a ruined EJ25D engine, intending to replace the engine. Before doing proper research, I INcorrectly assumed a simple swap by using a 2000 model EJ251 engine, so when I spied one for sale, I bought it. THEN I found this forum and the sage advice contained therein. Thanks to johnceggleston* and others, I found that I SHOULD have been looking for a 1995 - 1998 EJ22 w/EGR for the easiest swap, preferring the 1995.. What is the saying about hindsight??

So, my question is, Is there more that I should know about this swap before selling/trading the EJ251 for a EJ22? Obviously I need all the help I can get so I won't "jump the gun" again and make a wrong choice.

Thanks,

Greasyfingers

* http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/137597-25l-to-22l-swap-clarification/

Find another head. They are pretty plentiful and not even that expensive. There have been a few sets for sale on here even.

Thanks for that suggestion.

I hadn't considered it because I understand the EJ25D manifold will not fit the EJ251 without an adapter which I don't know how to make and aren't available for purchase as far as I know.

what he said, you don't seem to be hearing him but it's ***really*** easy.  i've done it before, if you think there's a problem then you're simply not seeing it correctly, which is easy to have happen when we only get a keyboard to talk with, kind of annoying, let's go grab a drink and discuss this!!

use this combo:

EJ251 block

EJ25D heads

EJ25D intake manifold

basically you're only swapping the block so nothing matters, there's no exhaust or intake or wiring involved since that's all associated with the heads which you're keeping original to the vehicle, very easy swap.

get a used EJ25 head for $50-$75 and you're done

• Like 1

Otherwise, if you can trade your engine for a whole 95 ej22 with intake manifold, it will be a direct swap. a 96-99 ej22 with manifold is also a plug0in swap, but you will have to swap over to a single port header to match the exhaust.

Another option would be to find a pair of dual port ej22 heads(90-95) and a 95-98 2.2 intake manifold and swap onto the ej251 block

by the way,

the 99 outback already has the ej251 block,

with DOHC heads and intake.

it is a hybrid engine, a transition year.

so as mentioned, you can use the 00 short block with the 99 heads and intake.

what happened to the ''bad'' head?

busted t-belt , bent valves?

seized cam shaft?

busted cam sprocket?

good used heads can be had for $150 each, on www.car-part.com,

or less from craigslist.org or someone here.

the ej251engine is more valuable than a 95 je22 with EGR,

but the headache of trading engines to get an ej22 mat take a while.

good luck.

Edited by johnceggleston

You can also swap all the intake wiring, and thorttle body from the DOHC to the SOHC intake.  (requires splicing the injector pigtails)  Swap Cam/crank sprockets and sensors too.  Depending on Intake type may need a block off plate between TB and intake to cover IAC port on the SOHC manifold.

You won't have an IAC......but it will run.

I've done it running 2005 SOHC 2.5 in a 90 Legacy using stock 90 ECU and wiring.

But FWIW, in this case putting a set of DOHC heads on that SOHC engine woudl be simpler option.

Edited by Gloyale

Yeah you're right. But if you just use the EJ251 block, and get yourself a set of good EJ25D DOHC heads, then you can use the intake that came in the car and it'll all bolt right up.

what he said, you don't seem to be hearing him but it's ***really*** easy.  i've done it before, if you think there's a problem then you're simply not seeing it correctly, which is easy to have happen when we only get a keyboard to talk with, kind of annoying, let's go grab a drink and discuss this!!

use this combo:

EJ251 block

EJ25D heads

EJ25D intake manifold

basically you're only swapping the block so nothing matters, there's no exhaust or intake or wiring involved since that's all associated with the heads which you're keeping original to the vehicle, very easy swap.

get a used EJ25 head for $50-$75 and you're done

Otherwise, if you can trade your engine for a whole 95 ej22 with intake manifold, it will be a direct swap. a 96-99 ej22 with manifold is also a plug0in swap, but you will have to swap over to a single port header to match the exhaust.

Another option would be to find a pair of dual port ej22 heads(90-95) and a 95-98 2.2 intake manifold and swap onto the ej251 block

by the way,

the 99 outback already has the ej251 block,To

with DOHC heads and intake.

it is a hybrid engine, a transition year.

so as mentioned, you can use the 00 short block with the 99 heads and intake.

what happened to the ''bad'' head?

busted t-belt , bent valves?

seized cam shaft?

busted cam sprocket?

good used heads can be had for $150 each, on www.car-part.com,

or less from craigslist.org or someone here.

the ej251engine is more valuable than a 95 je22 with EGR,

but the headache of trading engines to get an ej22 mat take a while.

good luck.

You can also swap all the intake wiring, and thorttle body from the DOHC to the SOHC intake.  (requires splicing the injector pigtails)  Swap Cam/crank sprockets and sensors too.  Depending on Intake type may need a block off plate between TB and intake to cover IAC port on the SOHC manifold.

You won't have an IAC......but it will run.

I've done it running 2005 SOHC 2.5 in a 90 Legacy using stock 90 ECU and wiring.

But FWIW, in this case putting a set of DOHC heads on that SOHC engine woudl be simpler option.

I get it! I get it! The light bulb lit about 30 minutes before I sat down to see if anyone had responded to my plight and utter ignorance of all things Subaru. I even went outside after dark in the freezing rain to inspect the EJ25D again. Looking at the parts, it came to me (finally)! Y'all are just gonna have to realize that I need a lotta help!

Let me first say how much I appreciate your guidance. Without it, I wouldn't dare tackle this swap.

Second, I value simplicity, so I favor the suggestion put forward by several, use EJ25D heads and the EJ251 that I bought. So I'll be looking for a right side head or a pair if either of you knows of any for sale.

To johnceggleston, I really don't know what happened to the EJ25D. It was torn apart when I first saw it. The right rear cylinder was scored and the piston top was missing some sizable pieces which did much damage to the head.

All that being said, what is the group opinion of the reliability and life expectancy of the EJ25D/EJ251 engine if I put it together correctly and use good head gaskets?