Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Power Steering Leak - Maybe something else?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nickb21

nickb21

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

2000 Legacy L.

I did a fair amount of reading, but had a question or two and thought I would try to get things in order since I may only have 1 shot at this (temps finally getting into the 30's this weekend).

I've got a pretty solid leak from the bottom of the p/s reservoir, most noticeable on the pass subframe. In addition there seems to be either p/s fluid or oil on top of the pass. side head. The low pressure hose on the top of the pump and high pressure hose (has o-ring which is apparently a common leak) aren't leaking (at the pump at least). I don't think the sensor is, but need to double check (if it is, it's only a drop). Does the pump leak underneath by any chance?

My plan is to replace the suction and return hoses (34611AE08A,34611AE09A; which seem like dealer only), and probably the o-ring. Anything else I should check? PCV valve and hoses are clear, guess I need to check the breather on that side though.

Thanks for the help!

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,422 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:06 AM

The pumps are fairly easy to rebuild. If replacing the lower reservoir o-rings doesn't fix it rebuild the pump.

Engine oil leaks are common as well. Valve cover gaskets often leak all over the subframe.

#3 nickb21

nickb21

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:21 AM

Thanks, that's def good to know. Are there o-rings in the bottom of the reservoir? Doesn't appear to be any in this pic: http://opposedforces...teering_system/

VC's are in OK shape, don't think they're leaking on top of the head. I guess the back of the pump housing comes apart? Maybe it's leaking at the bottom of that and I can't tell.

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,422 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Ah I see you have a separate reservoir. The older ones had the reservoir right on top of the pump with an o-ring to seal the two together and a rubber coated washer inside to seal the bolt that holds the reservoir on.

Yes, the case seam does leak on these pumps. That will require at least a partial rebuild to replace. The rebuild kit comes with all new seals, but the front seal is only replaceable by pressing the shaft out, which requires a new bearing, usually not included wih the kit. IIRC is is a standard 6203 rubber sealed ball bearing which is only about $5 at Napa.

#5 nickb21

nickb21

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

Yep, it's off to the side.

Excellent info, thanks. I'm 99% sure the front isn't leaking, but will tear into Sat morn when there is some actual light out, and the temp isn't 10 degrees.

#6 nickb21

nickb21

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Well, I'm 1 step closer. I found the oil pressure switch is leaking prettttty good. It's only like a 15-20$ part, so I'll probably just pop for a new one. Switch works fine as far as i know; any way to just reseal the existing one? Seems like maybe it just uses an o-ring?

#7 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,422 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

If the housing is leaking it needs to be replaced. No fixing that.
If the threads are leaking you can pull it out and put thread sealer on it. The threads dont typically leak though.

#8 nickb21

nickb21

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

Thanks Fairtax, appreciate the help with this. I took it for a ride and after popping the hood there was oil "flowing" out of the top, and the threads a bit. So I'll replace the whole thing, it's cheap enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users