Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 subaru xt mods

Guest dj72

:D hello everybody new subaru owner here. So far i got rid of the cat, resonator and small exhaust pipe. I put 2 1/4 pipe from the manifold back and kept it as straight as possible and am still deciding whether or not to change the muffler to a less restrictive one or not. Do the 4cyl turbo need a little back pressure or can i just go with a nice flowing muffler. The car does go alot better than it did 2 weeks ago when i first bought it, it did beat a eagle talon awd turbo by about 5 car lenghts in the 1/4 this weekend. The car turned a 16.5 at 84 miles per hour, not bad for a 4 banger, and that was even with the front tires burning off through first and part of second. I would like to turn up the boost on it but i would like to know if any body knows what the safe boost level would be. I did find an intercooler out of a 740 turbo volvo which i plan on using, also does any body know anything about changing the fuel injectors to ones with higher pressure. Any help would be greatly appreciated, iv'e wanted one of these cars for years and i finally found one now i want to play with it a little.

dj, you are on the right track, the turbo does in itself a fine job of "muffleing" you could leave one free flow three way cat for a muffler (if needed)

The Volvo IC is great, add the BPV while you are at it.

You must mean higher flowing injectors?

A Nissan 280 Z has what you want, you would need a RRFPR also

The boost can be safely turned up to about 14 psi with a boost control valve in the line to the wastegate.

Disconnect the over boost cutoff switch on the pass side strut tower.

Hope this helps, email me if you care, my email add. is in my profile

So i need a bypass valve for ic? I did find a wastecontrol valve for $100 is that too expensive or should i keep looking? what does the overboost cutoff switch look like so i know i'm not disconecting the wrong one. This is my first turbo car and i don't know alot about them. Thank you very much for the info so far. Dean.