Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so no regular stereo fits the Brat dash?

odie

It seems I too have discovered that the might brat is no friendly to a standard DIN stereo...

I got a Subaru install kit but the plate for the brat is just another stupid shaft style one...

I guess I should have put a mounting sleeve over the center console first to see what I'm up against. I'd like to keep the ashtray (nice for coins and what have you) but it looks like I gotta do serious cutting to put anything in there.

Kinda wish I kept an old shaft radio/tape deck to use. I really don't need a CD since the Brat rides too rough for a CD anyway.

What's that blank knock out panel for BTW?

post-49716-19581_thumb.jpg

Edited by odie

you can make a modern stereo fit, but it will stick out about 3/4 inch. Some have gone as far as cutting a hole in the heater box to recess it. There are some slanted consoles kicking arond for sale, but rate. Personally, i am not a fan of chopping up a factory console if i can avoid it.

The knock out blank is or power mirror switch.

Make sure you understand the common ground speaker wiring if you are attempting to connect the radio to the factory harness. There are a few recent posts about 'common ground'

Knick out is for power mirror swtich.

You can get shallow decks....at least some.

As for width and ashtray.......mount raido in the lower section where the cubby is now.

This is how mine is.....a bit hacked but works well.  My car has the Pwr. Mirrors so I relocate the switch up to the old radio spot.

IMG_0672_zpsc113c5e3.jpg

Or..........If you have the stock radio still, you can wire in a headphone connector into the OE tape deck connector on the back.  There is a write up somewhere on here.  Allows you to use original radio with an iPod or portable CD player.

Edited by Gloyale

I was gonna use a wiring adapter for the stock harness...but there is regular speaker wire behind the dash so I think I'm gonna find no factory speaker wires in the door anymore...

so there is a depth problem too??? that's not too big a deal as width...

I'm gonna try to scrounge/source a traditional tape deck with an aux input. But really, I listen to radio mostly...but an old shaft radio is gonna be way low on power...

Or just use the DIN trim panel...it looks like it would cover almost the entire console...and it has a cubby too...

So strange though...the Japs embraced European DIN long before the US, my 1972 Z-car had DIN....why did Subaru hold out?

Dude. You just threw me into a mild stationary panic, wondering if my new JVC tuner would fit the dash of my '89 DL. 

I ran and grabbed the DIN chassis and stereo receptacle out of the dash. It fits. 

:clap:  :clap:

The thread in fitting the iPhone/iPod in place of the stock digital clock is pretty cool. 

John

There are other manufacturer install kits that can be made to work with the Brat for a cleaner, if not sometimes, near perfect install. 88-94 Chevy truck kits. The Metra install kit # 99-4544, 99-4012 and 99-4505. All include 1" extensions to mount the deck farther out and don't have a wider profile than the Chevy truck ones. The Metra 99-3043 would be one of the best since to DIN depth is actually adjustable. The frame mounts and the DIN section can be slid in and out.  Of course you're going to have to cut a big hole in the center radio console to mount these kits, but depending on where you cut it, won't look bad. All of these can be found at Sonic Electronix under installation dash kits.

It seems I too have discovered that the might brat is no friendly to a standard DIN stereo...

I got a Subaru install kit but the plate for the brat is just another stupid shaft style one...

I guess I should have put a mounting sleeve over the center console first to see what I'm up against. I'd like to keep the ashtray (nice for coins and what have you) but it looks like I gotta do serious cutting to put anything in there.

Kinda wish I kept an old shaft radio/tape deck to use. I really don't need a CD since the Brat rides too rough for a CD anyway.

What's that blank knock out panel for BTW?

I think I may have the old style radio and tape deck setup in the load of stuff I bought, if you are interested.

That being said, the PO that I bought my Brat from, put a CD player in and KNOCK on wood I don't think it has ever skipped on me! and I listen to the CD quite a bit, much more than the radio.

I bought a Scosche SU2020B kit...Brat was listed on the kit but it turns out only for the shaft style plate. There is a large DIN trim plate with a cuddy hole below in that kit...I may just cut a huge hole in my console and go that route...

I think I may have the old style radio and tape deck setup in the load of stuff I bought, if you are interested.

That being said, the PO that I bought my Brat from, put a CD player in and KNOCK on wood I don't think it has ever skipped on me! and I listen to the CD quite a bit, much more than the radio.

go a picture of that CD setup? I'm not having much luck finding a shaft style with aux inputs...Plye makes a cheapie with SD and memory card inputs for MP3 files...but strangely an analog tuner and no display for MP3s????

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is exactly under yours. With the original radio still in place. I might could have gotten by with a 1/4" spacer, not sure. But the Blaupunkt  CD51 I installed which had a fairly short overall length would not fit without any spacer at all. So when it died many years ago I searched high and low for another. This allowed me to slide it right in the same mount with plug and play.

I'm thinking there would be more depth available if one was to put it at the bottom vs the top like mine is.

However mine is probably only on a 1/4" spacer behind the front plate.

yea you can fit a modern stereo in the stock dash if you move it down below.  I did it and got it to look factoryish.  I just moved the stock package tray up to where the radio used to be and moved the radio down and it worked out nice.  There is a picture of it floating around here somewhere from years ago.