Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone want to install a 22 in a '98, or know a shop who will?

The car is in upper middle NJ, Clinton (kind of near Summerville).  I'm in Mid-Hudson Valley in NY. 

I haven't found a mechanic willing to mess with putting a ej22 into my '98 legacy ej25d.  They're all saying "but it's not the engine that comes with it."

So I can uhaul the car to you.  Anyone know someone who can do this, or want to do it themselves?

Thanks!

Yeah, why not do it yourself? if you can swap a starter on a subaru, you can swap an engine on a subaru. they are extremely simple to work on.

If not, there are lots of Subaru guys around that area. You may try putting an ad on craigslist gigs to find a guy to do it. Better that they know subarus, but anyone who can turn a wrench and follow instructions can do it.

If it's an automatic transmission, be sure to read the thread on seating a torque converter properly. it's not hard to do, but some people miss the last and very important step.

Clinton, eh? I'm pretty close to there.

Broadway Automotive - (Broadway, NJ - about 20 minutes up the road) - is a Subaru shop, probably your best bet in the immediate area.

I'd be willing to lend a hand otherwise, but it's a bit beyond what I'm equipped for. :-/

Thanks everyone!

Imdew - been to Colorado Springs & enjoyed it :)

Imdew & Adventure -- I've done some car repairs (plugs, EGR, A/C line, sensors, throttlebody...), but I'm just not up for this :).  I don't even have a garage to work in, and it's 10-30 degrees out there.  Plus I have trouble getting bolts lose (I come in the small female sizing).

86Bratman - i've registered.  Looks like a great site.

nickb21 - wow, great!  That's great information.  I'll call them tomorrow.  They have no BBB complaints!   I'll post how it goes, and see if I need any more names.  Have you heard of Patrick's Auto Repair in Pattenville (exit 11 off rt 78)?

If you try craigslist as a last resort, I'd ask for references, screen names for any Subaru sites, etc. Also, make a written receipt of work performed and have them sign it (assuming you went with a backyard mechanic). Like others stated, it's an easy affair, but watch them like a hawk.

I'm not a huge fan of Patrick's but I've only heard from a few people who have been there, no personal experience. If it comes down to that I would try Bill's in Clinton, or maybe one of the places in Annandale. Let me know how it goes.

Did you already pickup a motor for the car, or do you still need to source that?

I'm sure you don't want to spend towing + premium hourly rate, but a place like AZP in Kenilworth would probably be able to do this kinda thing without question.

If it wasn't freezing, I had a garage, and an engine hoist I'd be willing to at least say we could take a crack at it.

I'm not a huge fan of Patrick's but I've only heard from a few people who have been there, no personal experience. If it comes down to that I would try Bill's in Clinton, or maybe one of the places in Annandale. Let me know how it goes.

Did you already pickup a motor for the car, or do you still need to source that?

I'm sure you don't want to spend towing + premium hourly rate, but a place like AZP in Kenilworth would probably be able to do this kinda thing without question.

If it wasn't freezing, I had a garage, and an engine hoist I'd be willing to at least say we could take a crack at it.

Bushwich - excellent, excellent point.

Nickb21 - interesting - matches my gut feeling so far.  I don't have the motor and on another forum someone pointed out that the big price difference has to do with quality of engine pulled.  The better ones are over $1000.

I agree, this weather makes it much harder.  An engine hoist can be rented, but no heater is big enough for this job!!

Finally heard back from my dad, and his take (on his car) is "it's been a good cruise."  Drive the rental car back home, and buy something and scrap the Subaru.  Still if I can get an engine in, and up and running at reasonable cost.... that will buy me lots of time to shop and get what I want, save up a little more... and past this car onto someone else who will appreciate it too.

Nickb21 - Broadway Auto in Broadway is fantastic. 

They've done the 2.2 swap for the 2.5D.  Wouldn't put in a 2.5D without replacing the head gaskets.  Had all the details Garygross and everyone else has been describing.  They keep dual exhausts around for these swaps, & automatically replace all the seals & so on.  Explain things well.  Price $700-800 labor plus $150-200 for parts & fluids.  Will call for engine prices, & know which places are reputable.  They can go get the car.

So I'll use them, unless they / we decide it's not a good idea to do the job (no good engines out there, total price vs car value doesn't make any sense.)

Plus his explanation of why it'd lose so much oil, didn't leave me feeling guilty that I didn't top off at that last gas fill.

I can stop making calls -- and move on to decisions -- yay.  Thank you everyone for the great information.  I'd have had no way of knowing all this from calling mechanics or salvage yards.

Edited by curls1

Glad to hear you had a good chat with them. Yea, there aren't many yards around here with 'ru's. I'm curious where they end up getting one from. Brass Castle salvage is just up the road, so is Columbia Too, and Route 57 Auto Salvage is pretty close as well.

I guess it comes down to final cost, and will you then plan on keeping the car around (if the rest of it is in good shape) vs forking out for a "new" car.

--Nick

I'm surprised you guys have issues finding them. I see a ton of Legacy wagons near me, and lost count of how many ej22 and ej25 I've seen. I wish I was more inclined as I'd go buy these engines up for $150, then turn around and sell for $250 + shipping. Sounds like that'd still be a good deal for a bunch of you guys/gals they don't have easy access to these. Ironic thing is I never see mid to late 90's stuff on the road though. The Outback is a different story.

Edited by Bushwick

this:

that will buy me lots of time to shop and get what I want, save up a little more... and past this car onto someone else who will appreciate it too.

buying a car when it's not an immediate need or annoyance is a HUGE advantage for making a good purchase.  i have multiple vehicles and generally never  need to look for a car.  i just rotate them out as i see good fits/deals.

I finally found a 2.2 for $400 today that's deliverable to the area the car is in.  It's more rural, so that's probably why it was harder to find.  The engine was running, but wasn't compression tested or leak checked.  30 days war.  I found others but not that I could get to the car.  If I lived in the area and was willing to take an 2 hour round trip, I could have picked one up myself.

I hope the shop can keep the price down.  It's $750 labor.  And up to around $330 in misc parts to fix up the engine before installing.  They'll check and if it needs do: 

Water pump, Timing belt, Cam seals, Front crank seal, PCV Cover plate, Valve cover gasket kit, Exhaust gaskets, Center pipe gskt., Coolant, Oil and filter, Nuts, bolts - maybe 10.  Plus tax.
They're adding that it's $750 if it doesn't run into problems.

Gary - your suggestions worked well.  Calling and asking for 95s as though that's my car, made it easier to get a '95 engine, which is the best fit to replace my '98 2.5D.  Also I hadn't realized that car-parts did it largely by year not part's year's range.  So if you want for a '98 and you know '95-99 fit, you have to look up each year to see all the engines out there, plus look up other models like Impreza that have the same engine.

I'm going to car shop tomorrow, just in case this all doesn't go smoothly, but fingers crossed.  Then I can shop more leisurely.

$400 is a decent price. I hope all goes well in the transplant. As I mentioned before, I recall the mounting bracket for the A/C compressor needs to be moved from the 2.5 to the 2.2 motor. It is no big deal, but the shop needs to know that. The shop also does not need to discharge the A/C system. Just pull the compressor off to the side, then rebolt to the replacement 2.2 motor.

Glad to hear this is moving along at least. Where did you find the motor?

Nickb21 - Many phone calls off car-parts.com.  Turned out I was looking up my car, but car-part doesn't cross reference all years that fit your car on a particular part (why not?), so if you look up other years and models you know work, you can see other available engines.  Since this was a rural area, I stuck with closer distances to get delivery since shipping was around $250. 

Wasn't easy with my phone & internet cutting out every few seconds, jeepers.  It's working now again.

Rooster - I think this shop will know that since they've done the job before.  Good point to keep in mind to mention to them, and for any future readers here.

I've added up the costs with all the pieces that keep getting tacked on, and it's getting tight on value.  It's $1930 when you add towing to mechanic ($50), storage at first mechanic ($150), tax ($60-100), motor ($400), bits & pieces ($330), labor ($750), car rental another week ($150).   The car needs brakes, so it's not worth much more than that (low $2000s, I'm thinking).  Then there's risk with a used motor, and the shop running into trouble.  Sigh...  Hoping this all goes smoothly. 

Edited by curls1

Nickb21 - Many phone calls off car-parts.com.  Turned out I was looking up my car, but car-part doesn't cross reference all years that fit your car on a particular part (why not?), so if you look up other years and models you know work, you can see other available engines.  Since this was a rural area, I stuck with closer distances to get delivery since shipping was around $250. 

Wasn't easy with my phone & internet cutting out every few seconds, jeepers.  It's working now again.

Rooster - I think this shop will know that since they've done the job before.  Good point to keep in mind to mention to them, and for any future readers here.

I've added up the costs with all the pieces that keep getting tacked on, and it's getting tight on value.  It's $1930 when you add towing to mechanic ($50), storage at first mechanic ($150), tax ($60-100), motor ($400), bits & pieces ($330), labor ($750), car rental another week ($150).   The car needs brakes, so it's not worth much more than that (low $2000s, I'm thinking).  Then there's risk with a used motor, and the shop running into trouble.  Sigh...  Hoping this all goes smoothl

Keep the faith, your car will come back together again. The 2.2 motor is built tough, there is a high probability that you will have a good one.

Make sure they check the oil separator plate on the back of the engine.  On a 95 it is likely plastic and they usually leak something fierce.  A new plate (dealer part) and bolts is about $35 or so.  Since it is on the back of the engine, you can only get at it when the engine is out.  New plates are steel.

#3 in the diagram below.

Also #8 o-ring below.

366494900401.png

Thanks everyone!

Imdew - been to Colorado Springs & enjoyed it :)

Imdew & Adventure -- I've done some car repairs (plugs, EGR, A/C line, sensors, throttlebody...), but I'm just not up for this :).  I don't even have a garage to work in, and it's 10-30 degrees out there.  Plus I have trouble getting bolts lose (I come in the small female sizing).

86Bratman - i've registered.  Looks like a great site.

nickb21 - wow, great!  That's great information.  I'll call them tomorrow.  They have no BBB complaints!   I'll post how it goes, and see if I need any more names.  Have you heard of Patrick's Auto Repair in Pattenville (exit 11 off rt 78)?

Hi curls1 - I come in the smaller (to medium) female sizing as well and I have done this job - everything is possible, even for us, with enough leverage! ;):D

regardless - sounds like you have things well in hand - hope the shop does a good job for you and everything has a happy ending!