Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bought a '78 Brat

Congrats on the new Brat. I have a 78 myself. Its been sitting for a couple years now. Always moving around, starting other projects, but trying to get back to driving the brat again. Stopped driving since it was going through about a quart of oil every other day straight into the air filter. How much did you purchase the brats for?

Edited by CrazyCorey864

You spent $5K for it? Great that you are able to do that. But I presented a list of questions to the owner/seller and did not get a reply. Needless to say , he didn't post my questions either.

I sure hope it works out for you.

Good luck!

Its always a risk when buying sight unseen. But I needed it. i.e. Desire Creates Need. Keep an eye on the sellers feedback. I always provide honest assessments. 

Would you like to see the questions I asked? Or just want to take it in and evaluate ?

I realize you once owned one but several of us on this board have had our noses in these vintage Subarus for the last couple of decades. You might want to hear a bit of our observations of these vehicles as they are most often found 20 , 30 years down the road.

Best of luck. I just hope the seller's very limited pictures weren't the indicator I suspect.

FYI - Danny W. known as "drivesubies" on this board and "dannybreadman" on eBay can be a really great source for New Old Stock.

The one thing I'll say here at this time is that I told the seller that it looks like all he did for it was drive by a cheapy autoparts store for the recent attention he claims to have given it.

Hoping for a good outcome for you !

Paul

Would you like to see the questions I asked? Or just want to take it in and evaluate ?

I realize you once owned one but several of us on this board have had our noses in these vintage Subarus for the last couple of decades. You might want to hear a bit of our observations of these vehicles as they are most often found 20 , 30 years down the road.

Sure! Feel free to share the questions? As to me previous owning a Brat. It was for about a year in 78/79, so I guess that hardly counts. I'm all ears when it comes to help concerning vehicles (I am not a mechanic - nor do I play one in the driveway).

Well the 78 is in my driveway. It arrived while I was at work. Lets see how many questions I answer after monkeying with it for about an hour. 

Though it has a new.ish battery, it doesn't seem to take a charge. It'll fire right up and run with the 'jump start' attached. 

I put five gallons of gas in it (the gauge seemed to work) and went through it all in about 100 yards of driving and idling (one nice backfire after the first of three shutdowns)

Tested the 4 wheel drive - it works. 

Wipers don't work. 

Interior fan blows - but no air seems to come through the vents.

There a small rust hole at the base of the driver side shock tower. 

Though the interior didn't look good in the ebay ad, its worse.

The exterior is worse, but not bad, as well - but I actually expected that. Photos lie even when you don't want them too. 

There is at least one brake hanging up (disclosed in the ad)

That's about all I have so far. 

I thought I might be overpaying. Now I know it. Tell me by how much.

p.s. the seller was not the owner on the title.

Edited by CMJAnew

well... i hate to be a downer but i think you overpaid by about $2000. its a good looking brat, but with the problems you described... i hope you are willing to put a little more into her! first things to do, swap ALL fluids (oil, tranny oil, diff grease, coolant, etc...), look into getting a Weber 32/36 installed on it, i have a feeling that will help with your fuel consumption problem. try charging that battery overnight, then drive it around for a while to see if it charges (sometimes the alternator just isnt enough if the battery is dead enough). if your battery wont charge on a charger, new battery time. if your BRAT wont charge it, get a new alternator installed. 

Yeah , don't sweat it. When I get to my computer I'll get those questions I asked to you. And , more importantly we'll help you get you new baby back up in value.

Be thankful you have a career , or ??? which allowed you to throw yourself into this. As you've done , others are doing the same. Buying with their heart. Well intended.

Talk to you soon,

Paul

Fanatic - No Downer. You just confirmed what I was thinking (what would I have been willing to pay for the car if accurately represented). I'm thinking its the alternator.

Though the battery date isn't labeled, it looks pretty new. 

Forgot to mention, it has a really new looking fuel pump installed, in-line, under the hood. 

And, it backfired when I shut it down the first time. 

Psychotic - You don't really have to list the questions (other than it might guide me towards other areas that'll need attention). 

Ha Ha about my career allowing such foolishness. I paid this because I thought, based on the ad, it only need brake attention. 

Everyone - I should get my hands on a service manual. Any suggestions on the best. For my Buick Reatta I have the actual Factory/Dealer Shop Manual. Though I'm  

not a mechanic, and don't understand a lot, it has been helpful with some repairs. Is there such a manual available for the Brat? 

Thank for all the help. Maybe I should change my name from CMJAnew to Foolbaru 

Edited by CMJAnew

Geez , so many people calling me pSyChOtIc .... LOL , that's just a silly sub title thing the board allows. "moosens" is the name here and Paul in real life - whatever that is.

Here's what I sent to "mikesbikes"

Could you save us all a lot of questions about the rust spots and please post more pictures? Many of us viewing this Brat are not new to it and know all too well the spots and issues. Low mileage is great but often means far less then the hype that non Subaru sellers will put into the description. Still running points ignition? Thoe rear jump seats look non original from here. No headrests? Is the dashboard cracked like most? Where's the radio? Doesn't seem like you've done much except got by a cheap auto parts store for it.
Please understand WE know our stuff !! Being kind here....and thanks for sharing with the world! Cheers !!

Just a start to what I'd really wanted to ask.

Any holes in the bed over the wheels?
  • Like 1

I have a bad memory.....so will have to call you Psycho......! Its easier than looking up the other handles  :D

Holes in the bed - I don't believe so. But I've been focused on the other issues. 

I did find the radio in the glove box.

I don't think there are any cracks in the dash - but the vinyl is pealing away all over. 

OK! Back to some of my earlier concerns. I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE GAS ISSUE I topped it off with an additional 4+ gallons this evening -- I think that's a good thing). It just will not run on its own battery/charging system. I actually moved it to a new resting spot by 'leap frogging' it attached to my garden tractor via jumper cables. Thankfully the neighbors can't see this side of my house  :blink:

Let me know if its better to start new threads concerning each issue, or if its best to just roll along with this one. 

Finding a substantial hole in the undercarriage finally prompted me to contact the seller to let him know of my displeasure with the representation of the Brat in his eBay ad. 

This hole will require significant welding to repair. (My friend who hauled it to me clued me in). I've yet to get under the car to see what else is going to need attention. 

We're told to have an independent inspection. We SHOULD listen.

well, any one of us could have told you that, HOWEVER, now you know! and you have a subaru brat! haha :)

Sadly, I didn't need to be told. I'm old enough to know better - and do. But did it anyway. And you're right - I'm so deep into this one.....it makes more sense to pour good money after bad. If I keep the car till I die, the purchase price won't seem so bad. 

• Like 1