Ultimate Subaru Message Board

washing under the car

Is it a good idea to wash under the car? It would help me target the rust sooner. What can I use to get all that grease w/ mud off without ruining the undercoating? I don't think water alone will do the trick.

Hi Marck,

I for one think it's a good idea to wash under the car. I try to keep the engine and underside clean so I can tell what's going on as far as leaks and such plus it makes working on it more pleasant. I used to do it at the DIY car wash. Pressure washing with soap seems to remove the grime pretty well and the pressure is usually low enough that blowing off undercoating isn't a problem. Some of the pay car-washes offer "engine cleaner". It works well on the engine but it might deteriorate rubber components so be careful what you spray it on.

Dawn dish soap does "take grease out of your way"...as advertised. We use it at work to disolve solvent etc. Simple Green is a bit tougher on oil and grease. GumOut Foaming Engine Cleaner is tougher yet but I've blamed it for prematurely rotting of CV boots etc so it might not be good for uncoating either. Oven Cleaner is badarss stuff...strips heavy grease down to bare metal and peels paint too so use it with extreme caution on car parts.

I just bought a Karcher electric pressure washer for $139 at Sam's Club. Man I love that machine and wish I bought it sooner. Very portable and plenty of psi. I always thought these electric units must be disposable junk but two guys at work convinced me that they hold up to abuse surprisingly well. Mine seems well made and works great. Hope it doesn't self-destruct because I really like using it.

I have been very happy with Castrol Super Clean. (purple bottle) cuts grease well, but doesn't seem to really touch underhood decals even. Have sprayed it liberally over all engine parts and seen no ill effects on hoses/wires/paint/aforementioned decals.

this is kind of an isolated solution but...

near my house there is a cadman gravel site and at one of the exits there is a high pressure undercarriage rinse for the dump trucks. most of the time they leave it on all night. it has to be the tightest thing ever because there is a half mile stretch of gravel and dirt road before the wash. it also just so happens to be the fastest way for me to go to work other than a brick road. can't pass up a free rally and wash...

...yet the self serve car wash probably is the best solution for all the reasons listed above. just bring some jackstands, take the wheels off and have your way with your subaru.