Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EMPI was touted, but there were a couple of reported failures. a search will show brands people like. i would favor responses from those that have done countless axles.  "I've used these axles twice" anecdotal responses have no statistical validity and don't help the axle debacle.

i'm sure you know this but getting used low mileage OEM Subaru axles and rebooting them is cheap, better quality boots than aftermarket, 100% repeatable, and they'll last the life of the vehicle if properly maintained.

www.car-part.com

Is there any real difference between the aftermarket axle manufacturers (e.g. EMPI, Cardone, FEQ) or is it all the same cheap Chinese crap?

Thanks,

--Damien

I would still go with EMPI of all the aftermarket options.  The set I have in my Hatch have been going strong for approximately 3 years.  I am probably going to swap them to the other respective sides soon, but they are not showing any indication of wear yet.

EMPI was touted, but there were a couple of reported failures. a search will show brands people like. i would favor responses from those that have done countless axles.  "I've used these axles twice" anecdotal responses have no statistical validity and don't help the axle debacle.

No offense Gary, but you haven't used an aftermarket axle in how many years?  I know you are all about OEM, but I'm not sure what debacle you are referring to.

Well...the lady on the phone gave a strong indication that Cardone was superior to FEQ...

I hope she's right!

Cheers,

--Damien

That sounds about right.  I have used one set of FEQs.  They lasted about a year.  I also ordered a set for my Justy and they arrived without the circlips for the DOJs.

The Cardones are kind of hit or miss.  You might get one that lasts a long time or it might be clicky out of the box, but your chances are better with a new Cardone than FEQ.

Cardone failures are mentioned in the threads linked below.

No offense Gary, but you haven't used an aftermarket axle in how many years?

it would be months, not years.  i work on dozens of vehicles so i use other peoples vehicles/parts too, it's not always ideal and i don't always get to choose.  last new aftermarket set i installed vibrated on acceleration..classic inner DOJ aftermarket issue.

I know you are all about OEM,

used OEM axles. i use aftermarket parts all the time.

but I'm not sure what debacle you are referring to.

if you do enough axle work and see the vehicle long-ish term, it's all over the internet and any subaru forum, a simple search...like all these in like 30 seconds. i'm not reading them all but just as an illustration i'll copy and paste how common this is:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/23162-aftermarket-axle-print.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/42191-vibration-idle-not-due-axles.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/37399-vibration-idle-after-replacing-front-axles-solved.html

http://allwheeldriveauto.com/seattle-subaru-cv-boots-and-axle-problems-explained/

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/120391-braking-vibration-after-replacing-cv-axles/

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/130439-vibration-after-new-axle-04-legacy/

Well...the lady on the phone gave a strong indication that Cardone was superior to FEQ...

I hope she's right!

Cheers,

--Damien

Here's a USMB thread by Numbchux who does tons of Subaru work and he's seen Cardone failures.   i recall him having Cardone failures so it was easy to look up.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/114729-gsp-axle-rant/

Well I just got those Cardone axles today.  I inspected them and they are definitely brand-new and not remanufactured.

It is a 'made in China' one but it does look very different from the FEQs I have installed now.

Naturally, I won't know until they are installed and driven but I'll post more data as soon as I know for sure.

So far...the lady wasn't lyin'.

--Damien

• 4 weeks later...

Well I checked the inner race cup today after a few hundred miles of driving and it's kinda loose on the transmission stub.  Maybe they are machined to be that way or maybe the splines are worn from the previous installation but either way looks like I'll have to live with it. 

Maybe this set will hold up better overall than the FEQs ...they definitely sound different.  

A co-worker at my job has been in a position to visit Asia a coupla times - not mechanical related stuff, but he says there can be a big difference in quality among even ISO 9xxx certified companies. Some are certified by Germans, some by Chinese. And, ISO 9xxx really only secures a company's consistency, not their quality. If you turn out crap, ISO 9xxx helps make certain the crap is the same every time.

did any ever find a way to get NTK , or whoever makes axles for Subaru, aftermarket? I seem to recall a S. African guy was gonna try that but, I don't recall any details.

I wish I knew of some silver coating/paint that I could spray on the inner boot next to the exhaust. Somehow help to further shield it from heat.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I had very good success with EMPI. Girlfriend's Forester broke the original right front axle after 120k miles. Put an EMPI in and it has been great. Went right in, lined up perfectly. The Forester has since been handed down to her daughter who is in college and drives the car hard. Axle is still holding up great after almost 50k miles.

the transmission stubby shafts pop right out - just pull them if you ever want to entertain replacing them.  a circlip holds them in place.  if you suspect the shafts are the cause you can get another set.  i think i probably have a known good set and i'm sure lots of others do as well.

so far every case i can recall has been remedied with replacement axles, suggesting the stub shafts are fine, but i'm sure left in place long enough it would have to wear over time like water over a rock.

Just thought you guys might like to know that EMPI sold out that part of their company last year. I bought a set thinking I was getting the good old EMPI shaft, but the box it came in wasn't the same, and had a similar name, but not EMPI on it. Rock Auto was, and aparantly is still selling them as EMPI parts.

the transmission stubby shafts pop right out - just pull them if you ever want to entertain replacing them.  a circlip holds them in place.  if you suspect the shafts are the cause you can get another set.  i think i probably have a known good set and i'm sure lots of others do as well.

so far every case i can recall has been remedied with replacement axles, suggesting the stub shafts are fine, but i'm sure left in place long enough it would have to wear over time like water over a rock.

How can you replace those stubs without cracking the whole case open?  I thought otherwise was impossible...

How can you replace those stubs without cracking the whole case open?  I thought otherwise was impossible...

for a manual the case does have to be split, automatics just pop right out and back in very easily.

i was assuming you had an auto due to the discussion about axle stubs, where issues are usually with auto's.

Edited by grossgary