Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You're in the biggest Subaru Market in the US.  Why not find a set of used OEM axles?  I'm sure there's plenty to be had used in your neck of the woods.  I picked up a good axle from a local subie shop (Super Rupair in Boulder) for $35 and I've also purchased a remanned axle from Marshall Wolf of FW Enterprises for $85 w/core down in Denver.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/FW-Enterprises-LLC/503867596304519 or http://www.yelp.com/biz/fw-enterprises-llc-denver

that option was already put on the table, he is not interested, though that is typically the better and nearly 100% repeatable solution.

that being said, axles wouldn't matter anyway if it's the stubby shafts.

1. are you positive it's not normal amount of play which axles have - maybe it's normal?

2. how do you know the stubby shafts are bad as opposed to the axles?

3. is there a more robust material similar to Teflon tape that will hold up to mechanical use and could be wrapped around the splined shaft to take up some of the play?

Teflon?  You must be joking.

Many of those options are too cumbersome for the likes of me in this area.  Local shops have neither the time nor the the inclination to fool around with fancy solutions and if I want it done 'my way' they charge by the hour.

They've got the power and I'm just a consumer who does his homework.

All I know is that my Dad's Subaru has zero freeplay like that around the stub...zip, zero, zilcho and he drives it a lot over all types of terrain.

maybe Dad's are rusted in place?

well, while it's definitely a redneck approach, instead of Teflon, what about aluminum foil, or some type of stainless foil if it could be found? perhaps a strip from one side, over the end, and down the other side. basically like a U shape over the end of the stub. maybe an X shape so you'd get a strip in 4 locations around the stub. it need to be a very thin 'shim'  material I guess. Even some very thin guage wire - say - copper, might work.

and coat everything with never-seize.

If there were a way to gently knurl the splines - that would raise some material.

Or build-up the internal splines in the cup with some heavy plating?

certainly not a correct repair.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Teflon?  You must be joking.

i guess you misread it or didn't read it.

is there a more robust material similar to Teflon tape that will hold up to mechanical use and could be wrapped around the splined shaft to take up some of the play?

it was an illustration/visual aid for a question. approaches like that and not answering/avoiding questions, makes it not too surprising that shops/mechanics may not be too interested in discussing things in those manners.  but we have different approaches so i'll let others help you with axle issues from here on out.

Glad you compared it to your dads, sorry to hear it's notably different, that's unfortunate.

Got a zipcode, I suspect I can find a shop that reboots in a matter of minutes?

Or post online here and see if someone might reboot, ship you an axle. A better end product with less work for you - no phone calls, no posting threads, no researching various options.

Or post online here and see if someone might reboot, ship you an axle. A better end product with less work for you - no phone calls, no posting threads, no researching various options.

Nah.  I'm done. 

Car won! (Teflon lost)  :-D

--Damien

• 2 months later...

Just a final note...the 'Cardone Select' axles that were installed do seem to be holding up much better than the FEQs that were in there before.

I've gone about a thousand miles or so on them I really haven't heard any of the symptoms that happened right out of the box with the FEQs (in spite of the freeplay about the axle stub).