Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The reason for my "alias" scooner.

Scooner

Found a new site for pictures, imageshack. Seems to be working the way it should. Photobucket just stopped working on my phone. Anyway, here is a pic of the 13' and the 92', its amazing how much they change over the years huh49eh.png

bv42d.jpg

Here's just a sample my friend! It's been such a bummer, i didn't have lug nuts to put them on, then i got them Monday but had to work and woke up with a vicious cold today! Ha what gives? So they're just chillin in the garage. Oh well patience is our greatest virtue right?

0aoo.jpg

Finally put my new wheels and tires on! 14x6 steel wheels off of??? And 27X8.50R14 General Grabber AT2s which came highly recommended by several people including jj421 (Grant) What is truly awesome is i have my full turning radius back, with ZERO rub anywhere i love it and putting these on took out the shimmy and vibrations i always felt!

Now to get this trim on...eventually. Ha.

My morning started out good, Gage and I went out to the garage to put the new wheels on. Started with the drivers rear, zipped off the lugs with the impact which Gage loved and whipped the tire off. Grabbed a new one and put it on, grabbed my brand new bag of lugs and threaded on all six then grabbed my impact and started zippin. Uh oh that's not right! Then tried to back them off and all but two came off, then the worst part, 2 of the welded studs broke in the back with the lugs still on! That sucked. Eventually had to get my grinder with a cutoff wheel and cut the lug nut in half then bang it with a hammer.

Then drove to 4 different stores looking for new studs, luckily napa had 6 and i bought the right lug nuts...

M12X1.25 not M12X1.50!!! What a waste of time, i was able to get back, weld in the new studs, and put that all back together. Next thing to do is brakes as i can see how worn the brake pads are. All is well now but GEEZUS that was frustrating!

jvzf.jpg

...and here is my fix. Grind off the old clip part, then drill and tap a hole for a 8/32 X 1" screw, then apply 3M mounting tape to where the old tape was on the trim. Next line up the clips to the holes, feed them through then attach a fender washer and nut. Tighten them up and your good to go!

I have a small rowboat i tow and a 5x8 utility trailer i used to move and bring lumber home in, basically anything i'd need a pickup for. The hitch is actually surprisingly sturdy and had no problem hauling 5 fully loaded trailers while moving. It's mounted to the bumper, which is the main supports and is always bolted through the front basically right in that little built in box in the rear of the cargo area. I stiffened mine up with a 1/4" steel plate on the inside to sandwich the metal, it's a subaru not a duramax! The hitch only has a 1500 lb rating which is perfect for what i need it for. I think i have some pics somewhere back in my thread? Anyways, thanks for the question.

Thanks bro, yeah i went back to those old subarus and no one had even read note i left :( the bra on the loyale was in awful shape as well.

The main reason i wanted to screw the trim through the body panels is because i live in the crappiest uh i mean windiest state ever. 35+ gusts are an everyday thing. The wind literally never stops. Ever. That's why im going to try and transfer to the northwest or Breckenridge, Colorado. We cant do 30 years in Cheyenne!

I need more clips as well, i will go back to the junkyard and get more clips, as i need 8 more. I can get some extra too, just because!

• 3 weeks later...

iwrx.jpgxnaa.jpg

0kbv.jpg

The beginning of the new rear bumper. I used 1 1/4" tube steel one foot long each, put them in the slot ;) then drilled and tapped all the way through them and used the factory bolt locations.

Edited by Scooner
  • Like 1

Took the car on its first big trip! Went down to Golden, then way up my favorite place, south turkey creek canyon by tiny town. Found a little mud from melting snow here, this was really slick and kept sliding, if i didn't have to be at my brothers for a bday party i would've tried harder. I calculated 22.6 miles to the gallon there and back on a full tank. Not that great but i don't mind, even if it only got 15 miles to the gallon i wouldn't care.

Lessons learned:

Reroute exhaust out the back, i love the subaru exhaust but 2.5 hrs of it at 75 mph isn't very fun.

Get better brakes!

And get better speakers! Haha anyways here's a pic.

4ur3d.jpg

b98k.jpg

Last night i was able to fab up a new bumper, only took about two hours. I need to finish attaching the hitch, paint it, and come up with a spare tire swing carrier. Next will be fixing the front bumper i made and improve it some more!

Edited by Scooner

• 2 weeks later...

Was driving back to Cheyenne from Golden again yesterday and decided to hop off the interstate at the Carr, CO exit and take a dirt road into Wyoming. Needless to say there was a lot of mud and it was a whole lot funner than driving 45 on a dirt road than driving 75 on the pavement!

post-27391-0-87666000-1399843678_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow, haven't updated in a while. I attribute this to awesome spring/summer weather, playing with my 3 year and 3 month old taking precendence over car work!

Alas, my wife took the children up to her moms last weds and that first night i stayed up till 8:30 that night working on my car haha. I found a bad set of bearings and axle in the right front. Took it all apart and got it all.back together tonight. No more strange noises up there anymore.

However, i decided to take the IAC off and take it apart...i know, i know why? Why would i do this? Well i found many springs and a coil thing. Instead of putting it back together i thought i'd just do a pick and pull. I found one off of a 93' Leg and came home to put it on and let me tell you they were completely different. This ones coolant port was in a different spot and had three prongs for power on top, and the black and white were backwards. Either way i tried it out, the wires with black.to black and white to white it died. Reversed wires, the thing idled at 3000! What? Could not change it no matter what i tried.

So long story short, i took that thing off and reassembled the original after thoroughly cleaning it with brake cleaner and reinstalled it. Holy crap! Here is this EJ22 ive been missing, it was like a new car!.

Words of advice, don't ever take that IAC for granted folks!

Edited by Scooner

• 1 month later...