Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tie rod end installation EA81

I ordered both right and left side. I noticed in both my (I've done this before) Haynes and HTKYSA manual that one manual has the bend facing out towards the front of the car while the other has the bend facing in towards the knuckle. Neither one mentions which way the bend faces or side specific. I'm wondering does it matter? I replace them just like they were on the car, but you never know what previous owners have done.

There is a left tie rod and a right tie rod.  Different part numbers.  The left and right are different... should be a mirror image.   Remember that mirror images are actually different. Check your new part... it should have an "L"  or a "R" stamped on the part... if you are lucky.

Otherwise, the bend should face towards the rear of the car.   ie.,  convex shape towards rear.... concave towards front.

I ordered a left and right from RockAuto.   They sent me two lefts.   The part #'s were different (on package)... but the parts were the exact same.   Both had the "L".   Tried to explain this to RockAuto... but eventually gave up and went to NAPA.

I use the extra tie rod as a fishing weight.

I'm replacing the ends on my '84 wagon, pretty much everything on the front end. So, out of curiosity I looked at the ends on my '85 Brat and one of them is bend to the front. I'm tracking straight, not chewing up tire, no vibration or wobble. It's my DD with 200 miles a week for several years. Should I fix this or, since it seems to be doing fine, let it ride?