Ultimate Subaru Message Board

roll bar

92loyale59

so i have been trying to come up with a good way to make a roll bar or cage inside my 92 loyale . i of course  am open to a exo cage but i feel like the cost would be higher . i was hoping somebody has some photos of a set up like this or good pointers on where to mount the tubing and ect.  Thanks

so i have been trying to come up with a good way to make a roll bar or cage inside my 92 loyale . i of course  am open to a exo cage but i feel like the cost would be higher . i was hoping somebody has some photos of a set up like this or good pointers on where to mount the tubing and ect.  Thanks

for racing or offroad?

I'm just gonna guess and say its for low speed offroad type stuff,For actual races you would have rule books that would say where every tube is supposed to go.However, it might be worth it a take a look at some of those rule books.For example, most rule books say that the main hoop of the rollbar/cage should not be closer than 6" from the back of the helmet(7" from the back of your head).If you build a rollbar thats the only guide line to follow,If you build a cage then you need to pay careful attention to tube routing because you dont want your head hitting it.So if your building a cage the tubes need to be as close to the sheetmetal as possible to leave as much room for your soft head.So take out the headliner to get the tubes as far away from your head as possible.

All of that is assuming you are a good welder,because your welds have to be PERFECT.A poorly welded/designed cage is worse than no cage at all.While some cage might be better than nothing for a low speed flop onto the side/roof what happens if you start to roll down a hill and hit every boulder and stump on the way down and your welds fail leaving lots of jagged edges to cut/implale yourself on?Once again look at those rule books for design inspiration.

lastly assuming you are a good welder and have access to tube benders,and can make solid welds 100% around tube,then your question about mounting points is a 6x6" plate at every tube ending on the floor.That plate needs to be formed to fit the sheetmetal at those locations.It can be welded to the car or it can be bolted to the car by sandwiching the sheetmetal between another 6x6" plate with 4 bolts at each plate.