Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project: Rally Brat. comming this summer

So i guess this is my pre-build thread to see peoples ideas and any possable tips reguarding the restoration phase of the brat. my brat unfortunatley needs a lot of body work. however i found a very clean 85 GL hatch that i can take just about the whole front end off of. end product will hopefully have a wrx/sti driveline (or maybe something a bit more valuable, but that all depends on if i can find it). the GL will likely recieve the brat's current driveline which would be an upgrade from 2 wheel front to 2/4wheel dual range. the brat literally has all the rust spots you would expect froma neglected brat (though the frame looked good last i checked). any tips on body repair for the rear end (in the bed and the rear sill that almost doesnt exist anymore) and people that might be selling the bed chrome for a 2nd gen as mine is in questionable condition.

post-35921-0-27836400-1391228992_thumb.jpg

post-35921-0-95536000-1391229518_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a nice hatch!

There are lots of threads on here with good pics of the usual wheel well repairs on the brat bed. Shouldn't be too hard to dig up.

As for specific tips, you should snap some pics of the bad areas so we can see what you're working with.

In general, just prepare for a lot of work (cutting, grinding, welding, shaping), but it'll be worth it in the end!

ill do my best to get some pictures of the bad spots, but the reason the project starts this summer mis cuz my brat is on the other side of the country. im going to go get it in june. i will post pictures as i recieve them from my parents. the hatch i have access to so ill be posting pictures of it soon.

HOLY CRAP! It just came to me! I know what you need to do!!!

Short Bed Brat!

Take the roof, back glass, bed, bed sides and tailgate from the brat and graft them onto the hatch. Do it right and it would be sick as hell and totally solid and rust-free.

It has been done before. The dude I got my NOS coupe quarter panels from over ten years ago did it back in the 80s and I bet a few others on the board have too.

HOLY CRAP! It just came to me! I know what you need to do!!!

Short Bed Brat!

Take the roof, back glass, bed, bed sides and tailgate from the brat and graft them onto the hatch. Do it right and it would be sick as hell and totally solid and rust-free.

It has been done before. The dude I got my NOS coupe quarter panels from over ten years ago did it back in the 80s and I bet a few others on the board have too.

intruiging idea, but honestly i dont like the look of a bobed brat. and when it comes to rust, i will be stripping the brat down to frame, fixing/replacing all rust spots and re-assembling. my plans for the brat will likely take me years to complete, but that is something im definitely willing to do.

• 2 weeks later...

previous owner also told me the clutch was blown, but after i took it off, it looks almost new. no dirt, can still read some writing on the friction surface. only thing left is either the transmission is blown or the clutch cable was adjusted horribly (i checked out the cable and no signs of damage). hopefully ill have the time tomorrow to pull the engine and give it the same thorough cleaning as the transmission

post-35921-0-25775900-1392530564_thumb.jpeg