Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat horible fuel milage

The non ethanol is hard to find here i ran high trst this tank so well see how it does. It has new wires plugs filters. I did notice when settkng the mixture if my screwdriver touched the wires at the cap it would are off the screw driver to metal. Is this normal?

could it be the tires are just too big and its pushing the engine too hard? Like if its worn out some and it dosn't have enough "ommph" to push the tires.Like you said the MPG went down after the tires.   Or swap back to some stock tires and see what up?? I just turned 60 so I gave up on big wide tires awhile back.. haha. I do run tall skinny 14" on my 84 brat and seem to get decent MPG. altho I have never done the math  yet so I'm really just guessing ,I guess... Good luck Todd   PS I just reread your note and  you are running a ea 71? Now thats a 1600 right ?? Mabey the 1600 dosn't have that Ommph I was talkin about.... If its a 1600 the starter is right on top of the bell housing... Hang on... 

Edited by old sub freak

Ok 17 mpg...  Was this with your odometer reading or the added extra 10 percent I mentioned earlier?  If you didn't add ten percent your actual gas mileage is around 19mpg.  Add to the fact your are probably running winter blend fuel which reduces fuel mileage by 10-15 percent more, and you would be getting about 21-23 mpg with non-winter blend fuel.  Still a little low but not exactly horrible considering the type of driving you do.  Anyways, continue to tune and you'll find yourself in a range that you hopefully find acceptable.

Edited by rain_man_rich