Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Putting a new Subaru stereo in my Legacy, need some help

Haven't done anything like this before and need some advice. I just recently bought a 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited and the stereo needs to go. It's a single din and only has a tape deck and radio and the tape deck doesn't work. Found a guy selling a 2002 Subaru Impreza/Wrx double din within my range. I have the schematics to take everything apart to get to the radio but will I be running into problems with it being an 02 double din stereo going into a 97 set up for a single din and what I'll need to make this change? (have the extra compartment below the stereo that I will take out to make it fit a double din). Thanks

i have never put a double din radio in, so not 100% sure, but removing the storage compartment may be all you need to do to make it work - a couple of extra screws and the compartment is gone...

I just installed an aftermarket single din with bluetooth & USB in my 95 Legacy - it is AWESOME! hands free phone right thru the stereo. can charge my phone and play music from it at the same time via the USB cable. can play tunes via BT as well and it has streaming Pandora capability as well (thru the phone) All for under $150.

found an adapter harness for 5 bucks, and an external mic for the phone for another 5-6 bucks and good to go!