Ultimate Subaru Message Board

General Grabber AT2 info

superu

I've been seeing different info and conflicting reports on various web sources (tire rack, discount tire direct, discount tires, general's website, etc.) regarding the snow rating on the Grabber AT2s.  I run a set of 27x8.5 14's which are LT rated tires. They're AWESOME in the snow, studdable and rated "severe snow".  Other popular sizes are 215x65 16 and 215x70 16, but these are not rated "sever snow tires' on severe sites.

So, I wrote an email inquiring on these differences.  Here is my inquiry,

"Hello,

I am writing to get specific information regarding the Grabber AT2. I have a set on my Subaru (a modified and lifted sedan running the 27x8.5 14" grabber AT2). I've noticed conflicting information in retailers and the General site regarding labeling and capabilities of this tire.

I see that my tire size (27x8.5 14") is listed as an LT, is severe snow rated and studdable. On Tire rack
(and the General site) I see the 216x65 and 215x70 (all for 16" rims)
are NOT listed as severe snow rated, nor LTs. Discoint tire direct lists
the 215x65 and 215x70 as severe snow rated AND studdable. Thus there
is advertised conflicting information out there...."

And here is the reply I received,

"This is to certify that all sizes of the General Grabber AT2
attain a superior snow traction performance that meets the requirements
given in the "Rubber Manufactures Association definition for passenger
and light truck tires for use in sever snow conditions" (RMA Information
Service Bulletin Volume 37 / Number 2, February 1999). All version of
the AT2 are studable, and can be used in sever winter condition;
however, only the Light Truck, (LT), version of the tires were submitted for the testing."

So there we have it!!!  ALL Grabber AT2s are severe snow rated AND studdable! 

Now I have an inquiry to differentiate the LT from non-LT rated tires in the pipe.

When digging through the [readily available data] specifications it seems the standard sizes (e.g. 27x8.5 14, etc.) are LT whereas p-metrics (e.g. 215x65-16 etc.) do not get LT listing.  Comparing THESE two (feel free to check others) there is a little difference in lug depth (2/32" - 3/32") with 16/32 for the 27X8.5R14LT vs. 13/32 for 215/75R15 and 14/32 for 215/65R16 and 215/70R16.

I've also only found, and its not intuitively or very readily available, reference to 2-ply carcass or sidewall construction but BFG AT/KO is easier to find as 3-ply sidewall.  I have a specific email out to the guy who gave me the severe snow rating info, regarding construction differences b/t the LT rated and p-metrics (specifically referencing the 27x8.5 14 and the 215/65 16).

:ph34r:

I've had my 215/65/16 grabbers on both my forester and obs. I love them in all conditions. I don't have them studded, but I imagine they would be even better. In some snow situations it gets a little hairy, but overall I feel plenty safe and confident driving in the snow with them.