Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

which distributor for brat?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lostbrat

lostbrat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Weare ,NH

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

I have a vacuum advance on my  2 Hitachi distributors that both not working with a vacuum testing them..wont hod vacuum and rod does not move..

Cardone has remanufactuer hatachis and nipendenso..... I may have read which to use as a better option.

I have a new webber and and want to get this ea81 started.. thankyou

Attached Files

• Attached File  057.JPG   119.19K   27 downloads

#2 bratman2

bratman2

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • Aurora

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

The Hitachi is stock on the 4whl drives. The nippo denso I believe came on 2whl drives. The nippo supposedly has a faster vacuum advance that gives a slight bit more lower end power. I think you would really be splitting hairs. I would just get which ever is most reasonably priced if you are buying the whole distributor.

#3 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,620 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

You really cant mix and match coils and distributors though...or so i heard.  If you do a nippo...make sure to get the coil too.  In the end you wont be really gaining anything going nippo.  If the advance is faster you wont notice it. 

#4 lostbrat

lostbrat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Weare ,NH

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

Thank you, I will just get the  stock Hitachi from Cardone.

I really just need the vacuum advance, but in reseach I am unable to find one??

Others have some luck with 82 honda civic advance but dont want to fiddle and fit other make /model

anyone have a number for   Brat  vacuum??? advance

#5 bratman2

bratman2

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • Aurora

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

I don't think the coil knows what distributor you have really. As long as the ohms resistance matches.

Edited by bratman2, 05 February 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#6 Kyle691

Kyle691

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Snohomish, WA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

I am having the same issue. I did some research to try and find one that would interchange but decided im going to get it rebuilt. I heard this place was good at it but haven't tried them out yet. I read they can rebuild the vacuum advance or the whole distributor.

http://www.philbingr...istributors.htm

Besides that there is a thread on here about rebuilding the vacuum advance your self somewhere. If i can find it ill link it.

#7 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,620 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

I think i mis-remembered about the coil thing.  Its aftermarket coils that kill the factory distributors.  Thats what it was.  I had that happen to me once upon a time.

#8 disom93

disom93

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Galax VA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

Not to derail a thread but im about to order a ea81 disty for my brat ea71 what exactly will i need to make this work? Planning a msd coil and wires also

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users