Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has this Drive Belt Been Changed?

Hey guys,

Been working on my first timing belt replacement on my 1999 Subaru SRX Impreza, Its a manual with an EJ20 engine in it.

It's been a great car and has now done just over 100,000 'ks (62000 miles)  

I finally got all the covers and other parts off and can now see the timing belt, But it dosen't look that worn so im not sure if it has already been changed or not: 

Here are some pictures:

778iUjd.jpg

ykYZyPD.jpg

3ekfevP.jpg

PXVgoEy.jpg

WrhzZ0M.jpg

What do you guys think, do you think it needs to be changed? I cant see any cracking in the belt?

if you need anymore info let me know!

Thanks for the help!

Several times. You would never take a timing belt longer than 4 years (conservative time) if you don't drive it much.

Also check the idlers to see if the bearings have lost grease. Not changing them is a gamble. A failing bearing will wobble and or seize up and damage the belt.

Spend the money on quality parts so you don't strand yourself.

I don't worry about the belt as much as the idlers anymore.  I change everything but when it comes down to it I see way more idler failures than belt failures.  The small one by the tensioner looks really old.  The others not so bad.  The belt PN doesn't look like a new version to me but I don't do a lot of EJ20 belts these days.  

If you don't know how to do the job make sure you follow guides and when you have everything lined up take more photos and post them here to get verified that you did it right.  Little mistakes can be very costly here.  

• 1 year later...