Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what MPG does the H6 engine in a wagon get?....i'm looking at a low mile '04 L.L Bean outback wagon to replace my GF's 2.0 autotrans legacy sedan that she crashed (mostly my fault, forgot she had zero experiance on gravel).

what i want to know is what sort of mpg do they generally do (in town especially) and are there any known problems like the dreaded HG's on 2.5's?

i was surfing one australian forum and they said that the 3.0 was well known for doing the bottom ends from being run on low octane fuel and detonating......i don't know how much notice to take of that as some of the other things that were said in that forum stuck me as a bit like blow hards barfing up "like.... everyone knows they do that"

Cheers for any info

H6's are excellent engines.  i'll largely assume 04 H6's there are similar to US market, so you'll have to bridge any gaps.  the next version H6 isn't that different though - same basic  engine just with valve controlling gadgets on it.

what MPG does the H6 engine in a wagon get?..

plan on "not good" and you won't be disappointed.  somewhere around 21-23 for most people.   24-28 is possible on lower speed highway trips without mountains or with conservative driving.

the 3.0 was well known for doing the bottom ends from being run on low octane fuel and detonating.

no.  who ever said that i would never listen to again about Subarus.  octane doesn't matter on US model EZ30's anyway. i always run low octane and my engine runs great at 220,000 miles (350,000 km).  i've tried higher octane a few times and never noticed a difference.

a few have had headgasket issues but not like the EJ25. 

one common issue - which essentially effects them all is the serpentine belt pulley bearings.  luckily they take 30 minutes and $10 in bearings to replace.  super easy.  do it immediately when you get the car and consider it maintenance every few years or 50,000 miles.

not to hijack this, I just bought a 2001 H6 I got 28.5mpg on straight highway, and in a highway commute am averaging 26.5mpg, I have 1000k so far getting that mileage, seems to be about 19-20 city....... now for the hijack part, I am going to buy the dayco complete pulley set up, is the idler pulley the one you buy for both the idler and the tensioner pulley ? Thanks again 

Again not wanting to hijack your thread, but just wanting to say that I think I saw your Brumby the other day on Portsmouth Dr. You took off from the lights and I noticed the lpg sticker on the door; then I saw the 5-stud hubs and did a double-take, as I wasn't expecting to see those on an lpg Brumby... As for fuel effeciency, probably not great, at least 9l/100km.

I took the 6 out for a test lap....and was somewhat disappointed with it.....250 horses should feel like 250 horses, my ute feels like it has more "get up and go"..........do they all do that thing where it takes them half a second to get their sh!t together when you boot it at about 30 mph?....like it has to decide which gear its going to change to then it will let you accelerate....didn't feel right anyway so i passed on buying it.

got a used import '05 2 liter L.L Bean forester with 54k kilometers (about 32k miles) instead.....pay'd way too much but its in showroom condition fresh off the boat from japan with full service logs.....and she decided that it was hers come hell or high water....

KiwiGL that would be me....lol only legal 5 stud brumby i know of here.....The 5 studs get alot of attention from people that know what they are looking at.....have had people tail me halfway across town just to get a close up look.

• 1 month later...

Anything late model can be rather easily retuned for detonation. with the likes of a tactrix cable or some other sort of obd2 interface. there's open source software for anything post 2000, so that makes it easier. or you could take it to the subaru dealership in town and they should be able to flash the ecu to the nz rom (set up for our low octane fuel) 

I took the 6 out for a test lap....and was somewhat disappointed with it.....250 horses should feel like 250 horses, my ute feels like it has more "get up and go"..........do they all do that thing where it takes them half a second to get their sh!t together when you boot it at about 30 mph?....like it has to decide which gear its going to change to then it will let you accelerate..

Yeah.....they seem to be.

I think it's a combo of the 4.11 trans, and the ECU/TCU interface like you said........I don't think the ECU will kick in the fuel/advance until you stomp it to the floor quickly, triggering the "power" map of the trans......downshift.....etc.....then you get the goods from the ECU.  Also the engine's Cams are setup more for torque and efficiency not so much HP.

I've always wanted to see what one felt like with a manual.......And I wonder if a retune to a more aggressive fuel map would help?  Might kill the mileage......they do really well on mileage considering the additional 2cyls.

40 is right on the edge I think. Driving at highway speeds, I think it's a beast when I put my foot down. But outta the hole and anywhere up to 45/50, not so great. maybe no worse though than a typical 6 cylinder. Some of the other 'utes' have a lot of torque available, perhaps built with more of an eye towards towing? - I dunno. If the one you drove has been running with regular octane fuel, that's at least a part of the problem.

ours is a very nice 'medium cruiser'. It has it's quirks with wind noise and downshifting at very high speeds - otherwise, no complaints.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

• 3 months later...

My sedan gets about 20mpg around town and have seen almost 30mpg on the freeway. I hate how it drives with the 4EAT and have been contemplating on converting it to a manual since I don't have the VDC garbage to deal with. I figure with a manual transmission, I can see more like 22-25mpg around town and over 30mpg on the freeway as it compares very similar to my 5-speed XT6.

• 2 weeks later...