Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2007 Legacy loss of power on hills

Recently had a disturbing loss of power on my 2007 Legacy with 211k while driving on the highway about 70mph.  The power loss was accompanied by a poof of white smoke and haven't gotten power back yet. Now drives fine on flat plane but can hardly make it up hills.  From what I've read so far it seems to be an omissions issue and not the head gasket which is a relief.  Hoping for the right answer here.  Heading in today to change valve cover gasket and front oxygen sensor, which had already been scheduled.  No Subaru dealership nearby so my mechanic might need some input.

The ex valve guides have droped have had many with this problem pull header look up port check the heights of valve guides the ones closest to the port are the worst. The one I just did yesterday had 4 out of 8 ex guides droped and they had broken bottoms of guides and would not let valves close. Misfireing poping rough idle lack of power. the local machine shop knurled and pressed in new guides and engine was fixed and ran 100% better

Well it turned out definitively to be the cat.  Took a look inside and the thing was coming apart and blocked. Thanks for the other expert advise.  That guide valve issue sounds bad and I hope it doesn't develop.  And Lucky Texan you;re right I just put a new TB on it a few months ago; wish I had done the oxygen sensor then too.  Its a great model and I hope it keeps keeping on.  Do you guys think the engine can top 300k?  

I didn't know about that valve issue when my mechanic had the cover off so I can't report on that.  But evidently that wasn't the issue, but good to know.  I do have a new problem to ask you experts about.  I live in a small town without a Subaru authority so your input would be especially helpful.  The problem is my engine is now having a really low idle.  In the past each time the battery was disconnected it took the car about 6 to 10 starts and then it would get itself back to perfect idle.  Its been almost a week now and its not resumed course.  If you have any advice I can pass on to my mechanic I'd appreciate it.  Can the fuel flow be manually adjusted in the engine or is it all computer driven?  Incidentally I no longer have a check engine light on.