Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought my first Subaru 2001 Outback wagon AWP, love it so far. Just wondering what year suspension can I bolt on that will lower it about 2" Using WRX or STi parts.

Thanks and hope to use this forum to create a sleek soccer dad sleeper using Performance Subaru parts :)

Rusty

I can't say if the wrx/sti parts will fit, I'm guessing most won't as it's a different platform. However you do have some other options. 00-04 Legacy GT suspension parts will bolt on and give you a decent drop, I think H&R's springs are also a good/cheap option. After that you're looking at some kinda coilover setup.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, couple other things. Would I be better off sticking with wagon or sedan swap oem? And do you know and subaru specific coil-overs that aren't an arm and a leg. I just want this wagon sitting pretty, handling smooth, it will never see a track unless I magically inherit enough money to drop a bad rump roast beefed-up oem motor in.

Honestly, I'm not sure, I think sticking with the wagon will keep the rake of the car more consistent. From the little I've read, you can get cheap coil-overs, but they are, well, cheap. I would do some research on nasioc or sl-i.net, seems like they have some decent info on lowered BH's.

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23373  look about 3/4's down.

You might also look into upgrading the front and rear swaybars, they're decent size from the factory, but I think the Baja Turbo rear bar is bigger. Whiteline makes a bigger front/rear bar if you're looking to spend $.

How many miles?

Probably also couple some suspension maintenance while you're in there: bushings, etc.

Edited by nickb21

I planned on all the routine maintenance, it has 175k on the dial, 80k on dealer rebuilt auto trans, 1k on tensioner, water pump, head gaskets, timing belt and pullies. Gonna buy a Haynes manual today and then a full bushings set and look around for suspension parts. After it sits good I will find some nice 18" or 19" rims. I'm going for a clean little modded look. Nothing outrageous except for motor and trans when I come across the funds or it blows. Body is very clean, so it could be a fun driving project for years to come!

Any of the 2000-2004 Legacy or legacy GT (basically non outback) will drop you 1.5-2 inches. You can use the front struts and springs of any 1990-1999 legacy or Impreza for the same but the rears are a different set-up than yours. The 2002+ impreza will have the same fronts but not necessarily the rears.