Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to remove dash of 97 legacy outback

Hi all,

I just bought a 97 legacy outback, and want to upgrade the dash with a bad rump roast gps, cd, bluetooth,etc. Anybody can tell me how to remove the old dash and put in the new dash? If it is not too difficult, I will try it by myself. Otherwise, I will ask someone for help.  Thanks.

why change the dash all you have to do is takeoff the trim by center vents, a dbl din unit fits in the orig radio mounts so sweet

why change the dash all you have to do is takeoff the trim by center vents, a dbl din unit fits in the orig radio mounts so sweet

what is dbl din? I found several dins are quite large. Something like that http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-7-Touch-Screen-Car-DVD-CD-Stereo-Player-Radio-HD-TV-Audio-Bluetooth-RDS-Map-/331122095919?pt=US_Video_In_Dash_Units_w_GPS&hash=item4d186a372f

Where the factory radio is installed there is a little cubby below it (or above, if someone switched the radio around to get better access with the drink holder deployed).

The factory radio is a "single din":

"A standard automobile radio body size. A DIN radio (single DIN) measures 2x7", while a double DIN measures 4x7". When factory radio/CD players are replaced with after market units, the DIN standard ensures compatibility; however, new or altered dashboard trim may be required. See DIN and DIN connector."

from http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/60681/din-radio

You can ditch the cubby, remove the single din factory radio and install a double (or "dbl" as djmark abbreviated) din device.  The device in your ebay link looks like a double din.

• Like 1

ok pull out cup holder 2 screws take out ash tray 2 screws on top grab vents and pull whole thing out gently, but with force, itll pop out, disconnect 4 way switch and cigarette lighter so you can remove ctr piece then unscrew radio and voila reverse to install 
(in a nutshell) :)

Edited by djmark7