Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

LOUD Fan noise

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BratWarrior

BratWarrior

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Portland

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

So when the fan clicks on on my new '84 hatch, the fan is CRAZY loud. Like a loud whirl. I had to unplug the damn thing to get it to shut up (It's cold out, it's fine). How would I fix this other than buying a new fan? Have you ever experienced this? Thanks.

#2 zmarrott

zmarrott

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Yuma, AZ

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:14 AM

check to see if the fan has any damage to the blades as this could cause an unusual amount of noise. annother possability is the bearing

#3 BratWarrior

BratWarrior

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Portland

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:27 AM

It's gotta be the bearing. The blades look good.

#4 l75eya

l75eya

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

aftermarket fans sell on eBay pretty cheap,they're really easy to install and they're more efficient than the 20+ year old one on your car. just replace it.

#5 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

On mine the fan housing was warped just had to recenter fan and trim slightly under it the fan cage was touching the mounting plate just slightly enuff to make noise. or you have a mouse nest in it

#6 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

When the mice die in the fan housing, their little feet may dangle outside the fan and make a noise like when I was a kid, and clothes pinned playing cards so that they flapped on the spokes.  It is really annoying.  Not to mention the stench that goes along with rotting mice bodies.  And if they had babies, then you may as well just sell the car on craigslist.  Some collector may snap it up.

#7 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

"NEW" 84 hatch?  What year is this?

#8 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,655 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

... when the fan clicks on on my new '84 hatch, the fan is CRAZY loud. Like a loud whirl. ...

It also could have loose frame mounts...

Kind Regards.

#9 BratWarrior

BratWarrior

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Portland

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:02 AM

When the mice die in the fan housing, their little feet may dangle outside the fan and make a noise like when I was a kid, and clothes pinned playing cards so that they flapped on the spokes.  It is really annoying.  Not to mention the stench that goes along with rotting mice bodies.  And if they had babies, then you may as well just sell the car on craigslist.  Some collector may snap it up.

GROSS! It ain't mice corpses. Haha

"NEW" 84 hatch?  What year is this?

HA! New to me, my man.

#10 BratWarrior

BratWarrior

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Portland

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

Good news! When I first heard the noise, I sprayed a little silicon grease where the fan turns. After a few days, the noise has stopped! So that's good. Sanity restored. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users