Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2002 legacy 2.5 bad motor.

Swap 2.5 Auto Standard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 02legacysanders315

02legacysanders315

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Burlington vt

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

Hello,
I have a 2002 legacy outback with the 2.5 and a auto tranny. Motor is knocking bad and has been repaired before so looking to replace.

Found a 2001 outback in town that I can get cheap as a donor. However, it has a standard behind it and not sure on dohc or sohc. Question is, will in bolt in being out of a standard and how do I know if it will work with my computer etc.

Thanks

#2 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:53 PM

Should be a bolt in.  The difference can be taken care of by swapping the intakes over and the timing gears.  But I doubt you will have to do that,

#3 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,344 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

The 01 will be a sohc just like yours. Like mentioned, may have to swap intake manifold and cam gears, but check them both out closely. Shouldn't be a difficult conversion at all.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,914 posts
  • WV

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:05 AM

same engine, easy.  follow their directions.

install a complete timing kit, they're $130 on rockauto or amazon for a gates kit with all new pulleys and tensioner.

#5 02legacysanders315

02legacysanders315

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Burlington vt

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

Ok thanks for the help. Can anyone tell me what the vin # is for my motor? Because I found another in a 2000 that may work better

#6 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,344 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

Look on the VIN plate under your hood, drivers side strut tower, and near the bottom of the plate.

#7 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,914 posts
  • WV

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

Ok thanks for the help. Can anyone tell me what the vin # is for my motor? Because I found another in a 2000 that may work better

don't really need a VIN:  all 2000-2004 EJ25 engines swap easily taking notes already mentioned in this thread.

if it's a 1999 Outback the body style is completely different and will not work.  or if it's just the engine , a 99 will be a DOHC engine and the timing covers are compleely different with two huge indents for the 4 cam pulleys as opposed to 2 on all 2000+ EJ25's.

#8 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:08 AM

yep. Any 2000-2004 2.5 from forester, legacy or legacy outback will be a perfect match. No need to swap intakes or anything. if it comes from a standard to an automatic, just switch the flywheel for the flexplate.

Be sure to read up on how to seat the torque converter properly. It's not a hard job, but if you miss the third step, you can crush the trans oil pump. Get it seated all the way and the engine swap should be a breeze.

#9 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,859 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

The VIN on your engine is the same as the VIN on your car. The cars VIN is stamped on the engine block when it is installed in the car at the factory.
But, you don't need it, as said earlier. Any 00-04 engine will bolt right in.
Put a timing kit on it before putting it in the car, and pay attention to the notches on the back edge of the crank and cam sprockets. If they're different, swap them.

The only other thing you will need to do is swap the flexplate and the bolts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users