Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I have a 2002 legacy outback with the 2.5 and a auto tranny. Motor is knocking bad and has been repaired before so looking to replace.

Found a 2001 outback in town that I can get cheap as a donor. However, it has a standard behind it and not sure on dohc or sohc. Question is, will in bolt in being out of a standard and how do I know if it will work with my computer etc.

Thanks

Ok thanks for the help. Can anyone tell me what the vin # is for my motor? Because I found another in a 2000 that may work better

don't really need a VIN:  all 2000-2004 EJ25 engines swap easily taking notes already mentioned in this thread.

if it's a 1999 Outback the body style is completely different and will not work.  or if it's just the engine , a 99 will be a DOHC engine and the timing covers are compleely different with two huge indents for the 4 cam pulleys as opposed to 2 on all 2000+ EJ25's.

yep. Any 2000-2004 2.5 from forester, legacy or legacy outback will be a perfect match. No need to swap intakes or anything. if it comes from a standard to an automatic, just switch the flywheel for the flexplate.

Be sure to read up on how to seat the torque converter properly. It's not a hard job, but if you miss the third step, you can crush the trans oil pump. Get it seated all the way and the engine swap should be a breeze.

Ok thanks for the help. Can anyone tell me what the vin # is for my motor? Because I found another in a 2000 that may work better

The VIN on your engine is the same as the VIN on your car. The cars VIN is stamped on the engine block when it is installed in the car at the factory.

But, you don't need it, as said earlier. Any 00-04 engine will bolt right in.

Put a timing kit on it before putting it in the car, and pay attention to the notches on the back edge of the crank and cam sprockets. If they're different, swap them.

The only other thing you will need to do is swap the flexplate and the bolts.