Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Erratic idle on a 2001 Legacy sedan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 freekraz

freekraz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Watertown, MA

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

Hello all,

I have a 2001 Legacy sedan, base model, 5-speed, only 80,000 miles. Recently, the idle has been erratic. Sometimes it dips down below 500 rpm and the car will stall out. Then it will jump back up to standard idle, ~750-800 rpm.

The engine check light is NOT on and I can't find any codes with my code reader.

I have solved the stalling problem temporarily by raising the idle with the accelerator cable adjustment. Inelegant, but it works.

What are some likely culprits? Is there an idle enrichment solenoid? Mass air flow sensor? Another sensor or elecctronic doodad? By the way, before this problem came up, I noticed that when the engine is cold, the idle would often go WAY UP to 2500 rpm plus for the first three minutes running until the engine started to warm. Maybe related?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS!

Jeff in frigid cold Boston

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,541 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

You are way overdue for a timing belt, tensioner, seals, water pump etc. All those parts are every 106,000 miles OR 106 months.

Then a good starting point is a tuneup, plugs wires, filter, PCV valve. 

From there we could look at the IAC or a vacuum leak, or the MAF sensor. 

#3 naru

naru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,745 posts
  • under the bridge

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

Clean the IAC.

#4 freekraz

freekraz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Watertown, MA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

Should I clean the IAC or remove and replace? New one $177 at Autozone. Also, what do I have to remove to get at the IAC?

Thanks for any tips.

Jeff

#5 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,426 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Look for any split vacuum hoses first. Also check the breather hoses that run to the valve covers. If you have a MAF sensor it will be at the end of the intake tube with a square top, and a 4 or 5 wire connector plug on the side. I don't think 01 has a MAF though.

Does your scanner have the capability to read live data?
If so look at the ECT when the engine is cold in the morning and when it is running as it warms up. Compare the cold temperature with outside air temp, it should be within about 10 degrees. If it reads -40° the sensor is bad or there could be a problem with the connector on the sensor.
Running temp should increase steadily after starting. If it jumps up 15-20 degrees at a time there could be a problem with the sensor.

Try cleaning the IAC. There is a style that commonly goes bad that looks like a little can on the side of the throttle body. The valve inside is a cone shape that seats against a port in the TB. Generally very easy to remove and clean, but doesn't always fix the problem.

If you have the type that bolts to the top of the throttle body, you'll want to get a new o-ring gasket before removing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users