Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 RX EJ swop its time

angerthis

if any one can tell me what is the most difficult thing about 

puting a EJ22 in my 86 RX i am going to use the 5speed that's

in the car i have a 91 legacy thats going to be my donor car what do i need 

to look out for win doing this swop?

thank 4 any help i can get

... what do i need to look out for win doing this swop? ...

► EJ engine shall come out from the Legacy, along its complete wiring harness & ECU.

► Adaptor plate to fit between the EJ Engine and the EA Transmission.

► Some Modifications to the Engine Crossmember, etc...

► Also you'll need the EJ fuel Pump & Management.

Don't forget to read...

~►  http://www.numbchuxconversions.com/services.htm

...the Numbchux guide on that Swap.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

► EJ engine shall come out from the Legacy, along its complete wiring harness & ECU.

► Adaptor plate to fit between the EJ Engine and the EA Transmission.

► Some Modifications to the Engine Crossmember, etc...

► Also you'll need the EJ fuel Pump & Management.

Don't forget to read...

~►  http://www.numbchuxconversions.com/services.htm

...the Numbchux guide on that Swap.

Kind Regards.

Don't forget redrilling the EA flywheel to fit the EJ engine crank.

• Like 1

Numbchux guide is pretty thorough. The one thing I had a challenge with in my 87 was one power wire. I didn't notice it in the wiring diagram at first, so make sure you double check them. The one I missed was the one that goes to the MPFI diode (I think that's what it was called). Also, there are two ways you can do the radiator hoses. You can try to find the hoses with two different sized ends... or you can get some rubber adapters that slide into one end of the hose to change its inner diameter. That's what I did. If you need, I can see if I can find the Napa part number. Is the engine coming out an EA81 or EA82? Mine was an EA82.

If you are pretty comfortable with wiring, one thing I wish I would've done is take out the SMJ (the huge connector), just cause it would've made tucking the wires up a bit easier. Also, for the oil pressure, the EA engines have a pressure sensor, hence the gauge on the instrument cluster. The EJs have a low oil pressure switch, intended for a light. You can wire in a light if you wish. I just wired it to the gauge, so if the gauge reads 0, everything is ok; if it's pegged, you have no oil pressure. Not the best way to do it, but it works. Lol, just be sure to warn anybody who uses your car first.

One more thing. You will have to figure out something for the pitch-stopper/dog-bone. For my car, I took one off a first gen Impreza (92 I think). You need the tranny bracket and the mount itself. It doesn't line up perfectly (it's probably ~2-3* off from the centerline of the car), but it works. Haven't had any issues with it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Don't really need to modify the crossmember. Drop right in.

Your fuel pump will work just fine.

Flywheel modification is easy. The bolt holes are the same size, but the EA82 pattern is slightly asymmetrical so the flywheel only fits on one way (timing marks on the flywheel), whereas the EJ one is symmetrical. Best is to get an EJ flexplate, lay it on the EA82 wheel, and shoot some paint through the holes, and grind until the paint is gone. Dremel makes a high-speed grinding bit that cuts through the flywheel material pretty damn well. I've done a few myself.

Dremel makes a high-speed grinding bit that cuts through the flywheel material pretty damn well. I've done a few myself.

Make sure to get a Tungsten-Carbide bit.........the standard Carbide bits aren't really up to the task.

Tungsten bit.......Shallow, light passes.......just like in a mill.