Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installing LSD on 86 wagon?

Hello.

A friend of mine, have a 86 wagon 4WD 5spd trans. dual range with EA82 engine.

He want to install a LSD on the rear axle. Someone can tell me what he has to do to install it? Can he install a LSD on the rear axle?

Please give me any information that u have about installing a LSD on rear axle of 86 wagon, even instructions how to install the LSD, if u have.

Thanks, Gal.

an lds will have a final gear of 3.700 for most models(turbo) and some turbo legacy and xt6 may have them.

the brat has a 3.9 gear, and the 3.7 will not match. you may swap the gears between the differentials to make a 3.9 lsd

Boy, I think Fox is on LSD or something. :lol: Where in the heck did a BRAT enter into this post, the guy is talking about an EA82 series wagon with a dual range 5 speed 4WD tranny. Yes that combination has a 3.90 final ratio, but it is not a BRAT. To answer Gal's question, yes you can put a LSD rear diff into that wagon, but you will have to combine two different rear diffs to do it. I have done this several times, once for edrach. You need to replace the center carrier (the part that contains the LSD unit and bolts to the ring gear) of a LSD 3.70 rear diff with the carrier (the part that contains the open diff and bolts to the ring gear)on the open diff 3.90 that is in the wagon now. You will need to use that rear diff from that wagon to retain the rear ration and clearences. You will also have to grind two notches in the 3.90 case, it will be obvious where to do that once you have the LSD carrier on the 3.90 ring gear and try to install it, or you can look at the case from the 3.70 LSD to see where.

Fox also mentioned the US model Legacy Turbo and the XT6. The US model Legacy Turbo manual trannys in the first year had a VLSD 3.90 rear diff. If you can find one of these they will bolt right in with not problem, the problem is finding one, since these were limited to the US only, you may have trouble finding one internationally. The VLSD is strictly for highway use, a few have tried them on offroad vehicles but since the fluid needs to heat up to work, it doesn't work very well at low speeds needed in offroading. The XT6 is suppose to have a mythical 3.90 LSD, a few people have said that they have such a beast, but when I ask for photographic evindence (a picture of the label on the diff which would give the part number), they can never produce it.

I hope this helps.