Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stuck in 3rd

So it finally happened. I knew my old 4speed was gonna crap out sooner or later, since when i last serviced it, 3 metal pieces came out (part of a synchro mechanism, i think) and it would grind horribly shifting into 3rd.

Coming home the other night at 1:30am, it was resisting being pulled out of 3rd, and finally it stuck in there for good.

I was rounding a switchback with an ascent, and i lost all momentum trying to pull it down in to 2nd, and so i was stuck. Luckily, only about 3/4 of a mile from home. Unluckily, it was -24F outside, aand i forgot my hat! D'oh!

I picked up a high/low 5 speed a while back, and so now i get to wrangle it in there. Not a huge deal, I figure ill take motor and trans out together...figure out my shift linkages and little bit o' wiring while its out. New clutch, etc etc.

its gonna be a while though, im in no hurry really and its still too much like winter out (doing this all outdoors) and i have other cars to drive.

Anybody wanna throw me their $.02 on what else i should address (mostly original, with 240k miles) or helpful hints on the 5 speed swap?

Well alright, looks like im talkin to myself again.

Im toying with the idea of picking up a boneyard 2.2 and tossin' it in there with the new (to me) trans. And to simplify the part i hate and dread, id put in an order at retroroo (shawn) for a harness.

Having a bit of trouble selling my better half/accountant/wife on the idea....go figure.

If i can find a screamin deal, thats the route i plan on taking.

Id totally keep the EA1.8 around though. Put some cams in it, port the heads, and use it to power a tube buggy for my boy (well...for me, but id let the boy drive it) Hes only 2, so i have time to put it together yet.

• Like 1