Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 ea82T in an 83 turbo wagon

we all know that an ea82 fits nicely in an -84 body. if you ever seen an ea81T has similar setups an ea82, vane MAF, battery on driver side, and similar components on the manifold.

so how different is the 83 and 84 ecu and mpfi system than an 85-86 ea82? and how compatible would the ecu and mpfi work for the components on the other motor?

i think it would work fine, i was lookiing at turboea81 pics, and it looks like all the sensors are the same, and most even have the same plugs, and the distributors are the same, relatively.

i say go for it, the most you would have to do is swap the big rump roast harness plugs.

84-86 EA82 MPFI is the same system as the 83-84, think about it, Subaru does in no way like to make new parts, same goes here. The Dizzy is the same unit on the inside, plugs right into the EA81 system, all the sensors are the same too, if I remember correctly the throttle body is the same one bolted to a different intake manifold. I've thought about this many times with my 84 (that needs a motor), and it would be a simple as droping in the fully dressed EA82, plug and plumb everything and down the road you go.

All that works good in theory Shadow, but in the world of mass produced vehicles, they didn't go threw all the trouble to do that, it actually took them 3 years to come up with the new system for the EA82's (the advent of the hot wire sensors marks this moment). I actually had an EA82 computer driving my EA81 for a little while, just for shi34's and giggles threw it in there to check it out, worked just fine, should work the other way around when it comes to the motor.

and yet another reason I know this will work is one of my slow days while working at autozone I looked up parts and checked the differences between late EA81 and early EA82's.

Bsides Miles, this should be no problem for a man of your abilities. :drunk: