Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 w/ new Weber popping back through carb

I used a decent amount of assembly lube, heck I even had the engine pulled out for the reseal and truly thought I had secured them. Just goes to show you don't ever know. I will say, this is the first time I've ever pulled an engine, repaired it & reinstalled it or anything close. Oh well, if I gotta re-do the cam tower....so be it

What a relief it's only that... I think you'll still have to pull the cam tower but at least you're not looking at another head gasket job. I'll tell you what, I hear about people doing the headgaskets in the car and they never mention how terribly difficult it is to get those stupid rockers to stay in place while they put the cam tower on. It's like they conveniently forget... or want to make working on Subarus seem even easier than it is so people are less intimidated to work on them. When that happens they dig into it and it's way more difficult than they thought and before you know it they're selling it. AND GUESS WHO'S BUYING IT. IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!!!  Anyway... yeah.

Grease on the ends of the HLAs and the rockers will just sit there in place.

Grease on the ends of the HLAs and the rockers will just sit there in place.

I used vaseline and they did NOT want to stay in place at all. Grease doesn't seem that much thicker. They kept tilting to one side and falling off. It's a whole lot easier to just have the motor leaning on the opposite head, then the rockers really do just sit there in place.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Found #4 exhaust valve stuck, a few light taps with a hammer freed it right up. New HLA installed, resealed the cam tower, etc. Put it all back together (including a new alternator) and she's running top! There was some small chatter from the new HLA upon start-up but it quieted down fairly quickly.