Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok,have to decide about 2.5 blown HG

After my calls to subaru failed to address my problem( "sir,we have never heard of this problem before) I have to decide how to get this car back on the road.Beore I start in rebuilding myself,I thought just for the heck of it to ask if anyone knows what a new or rebuilt engine would cost?

Thanks to all,

CW

There are some posts on here from people who did it themselves. 99obw. And was it theotherskip?

If you are thinking rebuilt, contact CCR Inc. Last I heard, a 2.5L H4 was in the neighborhood of $2500 to $3000 (with 3 yr 36k warranty).

Commuter

ccr quoted me $2695 with exchange. they estimated shipping would be approximately $150. i opted to rebuild the existing engine.

right now, i think i may have another failure. at 95k. my coolant got real dirty all of a sudden, and seems to be dropping occasionally. i think i am going to be looking at some TDI's next week to decide if i want to keep it or dump it.

as for doing the rebuild yourself, i did it for $700, which included a new clutch & associated parts, water pump, and assorted extras. i did it thinking i would only have to do it once. if it turns out that i did blow another gasket and i keep the car, i may consider a junkyard engine, so i will have a spare engine when one craps out. sad to think that i am considering rotating motors on a car that is barely 7 years old and with less than 100k.

i think you have been to my site, but this has all of my notes and learnings about doing it myself:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze730qe/Head_gasket_replacement.html

hopefully it will give you some insite into what you will be in for if you choose to do it yourself. let me know if i can be of any further help.

and don't settle for subaru's denial of the problem...

another option is to put in a 2.2 to replace the 2.5. That's what I'm doing right now, but I haven't got it working yet, so wait a bit. If you do it, you need to get a 2.2 from a '95 legacy. the '95 has one year heads with EGR, which you need to fit into a 2.5 car.

I assume you will probably buy your rebuild from CCR. Make sure you specify the correct manifold (legacy or impreza) for your engine. the legacy to legacy swap goes straight across.

I'm posting with some other questions in a second here, if you're interested in the 2.2 swap, search for some other posts I've put up.

Mike A.