Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

de-turboing an 86 GL10

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 01 May 2004 - 04:04 PM

If it was me, I would get an SPFI block, NA MPFI heads, keep the fuel injection, toss the turbo and run an NA motor with a nice torque ground cam.

I've been considering this plan for getting my turbowagon back in shape. I would like to have a killer turbo subaru but I have to admit I wouldn't mind eliminating the headache factor that a turbo can introduce.

I'd like some opinions/estimations about what kind of power output one could expect from such a motor: SPFI shortblock, MPFI heads, torquey cams, nice big Y-pipe and 2.5" exhaust, and spider intake. What sort of HP range would my wagon be in with that setup?

#2 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 01 May 2004 - 07:31 PM

about 300 HP with some sitckers (j/k) I'd say 130-150 atleast

#3 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 09:28 PM

with cams and spyder, and decent exhaust...id say 120 is easy.

So what is going to happen to the turbo stuff? Me want!

#4 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 03 May 2004 - 03:03 PM

i've already got most of what i'd need for the exhaust, as well as the spyder and accel coil/8mm ignition stuff.. i still have a fantasy about a 2.2 swap but the $ isn't there right now :P .. i'll maybe get back to this later then. thanks!

#5 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:38 PM

seems very um... not good.
turbos rule!

#6 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:42 PM

whats wrong with the engine and turbo thats in it now? if you have to replace teh engine anyways I would juist build another turbo and keep it stock, should be reilable

#7 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:00 PM

but I have to admit I wouldn't mind eliminating the headache factor that a turbo can introduce.

compression is shot. 80/85/90/50, in no particular order. should be 120.

#8 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 06 May 2004 - 01:11 AM

or you could trade me your turbo wagon for my 86 D/R 5sp wagon...

#9 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:53 PM

hm.
i don't know if my wagon would make it over the pass with the crappy engine. and i'd want to keep the RX trans and all the other goodies it has.. the idea of trading my problems away to someone else sounds good though :P
if i had some good turbo heads i'd grab a carb shortblock and start over (again) but it's not a $$$priority now.

#10 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 06 May 2004 - 05:21 PM

If you want simplicity go SPFI the whole way. Just the turbo alone isnt much more junk on that engine its the MPFI also. MOre hoses, wires, etc etc. After stripping it down my SPFI is soooooo simple. Even looking at carbed models I still think "what in the heck is ALL THAT JUNK?!"

You can do all of those 'performance mods' to an SPFI. Horse power guesses are just that, guesses. I wouldnt expect much over 100HP to be honest and youll never know till its on a dyno.

#11 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 07 May 2004 - 12:25 AM

well if you change your mind, i will trade ya, my engine has no oil leaks anymore, i just steam cleaned the whule enginebay/under carage, and new a new muffler. your choice...

Shean

#12 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 07 May 2004 - 04:22 PM

Shean, I'll keep your offer in mind and I do appreciate it; I'll admit it's a bit tempting even.. but at this point I'm going to hope I can fix mine later this year. If you really want a turbowagon I can keep an eye out though. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users