Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Snow--park to back up or go forward?

Hi all--laugh if you must, but I thought I'd put this out there. It's looking like snow here in NC--something we're not too familiar with. I don't have any plans to go zipping up and down the roads anytime soon, but I did think I'd find out whether it makes more sense to park my car on my steep driveway (up to the street) facing the house (so I'd be backing up) or facing the street (so I'd be going forward), in case I get cabin fever. The only thing I've ever driven in the snow before is a pickup truck, years, and years, and years ago, and my little Forester is a LOT different! 

Wow! It's a veritable blizzard out there now! Whoot!

Thanks,

Wendy

Either way, a Subaru will go thru any amount of consistent snow (At least up to the headlights) when in deep snow, once moving stand on the throttle to power thru it.

As for parking, if it becomes real deep, you may have an advantage of backing up as you are then pushing down the front of the car pushing more weight downward onto the wheels which would give you more traction, like a typical FWD car. I've never got a Subaru stuck in all the crazyness I've taken them thru.

Fox is right with the driving aspec, I usually drift while cornering regardless cause it makes me giggle.

Either way, a Subaru will go thru any amount of consistent snow (At least up to the headlights) when in deep snow, once moving stand on the throttle to power thru it.

As for parking, if it becomes real deep, you may have an advantage of backing up as you are then pushing down the front of the car pushing more weight downward onto the wheels which would give you more traction, like a typical FWD car. I've never got a Subaru stuck in all the crazyness I've taken them thru.

Fox is right with the driving aspec, I usually drift while cornering regardless cause it makes me giggle.

Why would you go hard on the throttle? Just give it enough gas to keep it moving without breaking the tires loose.

Why would you go hard on the throttle? Just give it enough gas to keep it moving without breaking the tires loose.

Like thats any fun! I usually approach corners and intersections at a sane speed, so it doesnt understeer through it, then punch it! Leave the corner sideways, straighten it out as my momentum catches up to the tire speed. Or you can induce a slide before you even get to the corner, go through the whole thing sideways, and then be pointed right where ya wanna go as the slide stops. Wheee! God, i love winter driving!

At the end you will see which way i park my car. AT the beginning, you will see where wheelspin can be your friend in snow. at about 1:45 you will see how deceleration will bring the rear around, and throttle straightens it out. At 3:45, you will see what snap oversteer does (almost a 180 spinout) throwing the car into a fat throttle-on understeer (almost bit the curb on the way out). For the rest of it, enjoy the ride. Mind you, the car is equipped with rock hard A/T tires with uneven wear and 40 psi.

Edited by MilesFox
  • Like 2