Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Time to buy a timing belt component set, but which one?

I have a 2001 impreza wagon, and it's time to get the timing belt and water pump done. I am wondering what brand or or timing belt and water pump is the best to go with. Or is there a specific package that is best? 

I'm not the most mechanically inclined yet, so I was able to find a family friend who will put the work in for $150

is the thermostat an easy replacement?

Edit: this is a question I could have answered on my own..

Questin should be "is a proper replacement thermostat available" Use onle an OEM thermostat with the correct jiggle ball and brass innards. aftermarket (54mm chevy) cross-references and fits that will be supplied at the parts counter, but won't function properly in a subaru.

use Subaru thermostat and water pump gasket. 

Gates kits are widely used.  rockauto and amazon for $130

or find a kit with water pump

2 cam and 1 crank seal are a good idea while you're in there particularly if yo'ure paying someone to do it since it would take the same labor to remove the timing belt if the $5 seal leaks in 2 years.  get them from Subaru or make sure they're the higher quality "brown" material and not black.

Subaru if you're wanting top notch and want to spend for it.  online retailers are about 20% less than local Subaru dealers.  but you gotta pay shipping.  don't ask "which one is cheaper" - as it all depends what you're looking for.  Shawn from here can hook you up via retroroo with a genuine Subaru kit at a reasonable cost:

http://retroroo.com/

I'm looking into a timing belt kit myself.  Best deal appears to be Mizumo Auto, on e-bay for $158 with free shipping.  Includes Mitsuboshi belt (a quality product), Aisin water pump with a Subaru quality gasket, GMB idlers and good (brown) cam & crank seals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-97-EJ18-EJ22-Subaru-Impreza-Legacy-1-8-2-2L-AISIN-Water-Pump-Timing-Belt-Kit-/221191947117?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item338011436d&vxp=mtr

I've used Theimportexperts in the past with good results too!

I'm looking into a timing belt kit myself.  Best deal appears to be Mizumo Auto, on e-bay for $158 with free shipping.  Includes Mitsuboshi belt (a quality product), Aisin water pump with a Subaru quality gasket, GMB idlers and good (brown) cam & crank seals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-97-EJ18-EJ22-Subaru-Impreza-Legacy-1-8-2-2L-AISIN-Water-Pump-Timing-Belt-Kit-/221191947117?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item338011436d&vxp=mtr

okay awesome! This looks just about right!

Thank you guys for all the help 

Actually, the point where you choose you car says that it wont fit a 201 impreza.. But, farther down on the page it contradicts that.

Edited by stift040