Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What drive shaft for my 97 Impreza OBS with 5mt

The U-Joint is going out on my '97 Impreza and after seeing the $700+ prices for new replacements I'm considering going to the local Pick-A-Part but I could use some advice on what other models/years would be compatible.   The original OEM part # was 27031fa020 but it seems to have been superseded by 27031fa140 .  I figure that at least any 96-97 Impreza or Forester with a manual transmission should be fine but are there any other models/years that would work?  Anything, in particular I should be checking for on the replacement besides mileage and giving the U-Joint a shake?

if it's a two piece shaft - the rear sections are often the same auto or manual.  it's the front half that's different lengths.  that's true of older geneartion stuff and it hink newer gen too...maybe someone can confirm.  if you just need the rear half then you may have more options.

www.car-part.com

there's also a replacement for the staked in ujoint if you dont' mind cutting out the old one and working this one in place or having a shop do it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-FORESTER-LEGACY-OUTBACK-BAJA-SVX-LOYALE-U-JOINT-DRIVE-SHAFT-U-JOINT-3-/271305510733?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1997|Make%3ASubaru&hash=item3f2b118f4d&vxp=mtr

there are cheaper ones out there - someone posted a link to like a $25 variant last year. 

legacy/outback transmissions and rear diffs are interchangeable with impreza's - wonder how/why driveshafts differ - probably chassis length and mounting i guess?  in which case are the front halves or rear halves different or both?

Edited by grossgary

93-01 impreza, 02-07 impreza. Forester has a different center bearing so the drives shift will be at a different angle if you use one of those. You can usually get a decent low mileage one off ebay for 100 or less shipped.

Any problem re-using my existing center bearing? 

I got the old drive shaft out today and the front U-Joint was in pretty bad shape (probably would have come apart if I'd driven it much more) but the others look fine.  Also noticed the seal at the front of the rear diff is leaking.  I guess this was as good a time as any to find that.

Wish me luck at the yard tomorrow, it looks like they have 2 95 Impreza's and at least 2 98 or newer Foresters.