Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 turbo wagon, auto to a 5 speed?

Early Rider Steve

Hi; I have a 1984 turbo wagon with an automatic trans. The trans shifts and seems to work like it should, but I have a bad crunching and vibration when the car accelerates. The former owner had new axels installed so not them. I pulled the axels and the splined stubs appear to be loose, maybe something in the front diff? I also have a 1986 turbo sedan for a parts car, dual range 5 speed, that I would like to install into the wagon. Has anyone done a changeover like this? Would the later clutch pedal and cable work on the older car? Just from measuring none of the crossmembers look like they will work, so I guess that I will have to fabracate my own. The rear gears are the same 3:70's, but the sedan has LSD in it.

Any ideas, input would really be appreciated.

hi,

you will need the "pedals assembly"  from a vehicle like your wagon, can be a wagon, 4 dr sedan, 2dr coupe, hatchback, but same style .  there are lots of swaps been done so info is here.   best to stay with 84 or later for the pedals assy  because the clutch cable mount is better than 82-3 but can use early ones.   others will jump in on linkage and mounts needed , some kits are available to do all that.

• 4 weeks later...

ruparts thank you for the reply. So the pedals assembly out of the 1986 sedan will not work in the 1984. Time to look at the parts for sale.

You can use an 86 sedan pedal assembly......

You will need a matching clutch cable and throttle cable.

You can also use the 5spd but you will need to use the matching 3.7 rear diff.

Can use the 5spd driveline but will need to fashion a carrier bearing mount, and either make hybrid 25 spline axles or swap the stub in the trans out for 23 spine ones.

Shifter and 4wd linkage custom made or Jerry's kit.

Edited by Gloyale

Thank you Gloyale, I have the whole donor car so I do have the cables.

The sedan has the same 3.7 ratio as the wagon, as they are both turbos will the splines be different?

Thought for the carrier bearing mount that I could remove the bung from the floor of the donor car and weld it to the wagons floor. 

Thank you Gloyale, I have the whole donor car so I do have the cables.

The sedan has the same 3.7 ratio as the wagon, as they are both turbos will the splines be different?

Thought for the carrier bearing mount that I could remove the bung from the floor of the donor car and weld it to the wagons floor. 

Yeah....axles are different.

Even though your 84 is turbo......it's a 3AT.....so still has on;y 23 spline and the 86 5spd turbo trans will be 25.

I've swapped fwd 3at to ft4wd and you can either re-weld the bung, fab a support bar with a small spacer for the bearing ear that's a little higher (what I did), or just buy a 1 piece driveshaft. I crashed the car so I do not have pictures of the carrier bearing support, but I'll see if I can find the mount in my garage to give you an idea..

You don't have to rewire anything yet either, you can just remove the AT switch from the switch lever temporarily. Its like an extra killswitch if you switch it out of P or N. And you can switch to R if you need the reverse lights. I DD'd like that for over a year lol.

Edited by Ibreakstuff