Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New member, new Subie...4th times a charm?

My experience with the EJ motors has left me quite sour on that swap idea...Although from what I have seen if I were to do that I would probably be best to go with the 2.2 for reliability.  Not sure if its physically possible, but has anyone succesfully transplanted an EG33 paired to a 4.44 auto into one of these DL's? That would be my absolute first choice for any swap other than the EA82T, simply because I love that motor and know it is very well balanced and bulletproof...Not the cheapest swap by any means I'm sure, but I have friends in the SVX community that have a handful of motors laying around and have done supercharged/turbo builds on them...

Did you call the EA82t bullet proof???  Hardly.  More crack than the mayor of Toronto.

IF you want to swap.......use an 90-96 EJ18 or EJ22.  Anyhting else is silly.

You must have had 2.5 DOHC ejs???

Did you call the EA82t bullet proof???  Hardly.  More crack than the mayor of Toronto.

IF you want to swap.......use an 90-96 EJ18 or EJ22.  Anyhting else is silly.

You must have had 2.5 DOHC ejs???

Not the EA82T, not familiar enough with it. But the EG33 IME was damn near indestructible, given the flogging it received from me :P

If I swapped to anything EJ, it would have to be the EJ22.  Sadly, I did have the EJ25D in both my wagons (both 97, one outback and one GT wagon, which was a $3000 mistake...never buy a used car from Philadelphia dealer lots kids...).  For now though, I'm not even going to think about engine swaps...first things first I need to get the mechanicals fixed that are in the car :P

Welp, looks like I'll be driving her til she dies...ran some seafoam thru the engine, and when I pulled the oil cap off while running, she's got a lot of blow by...Need to get my compression tester sent from back home to double check, but I suspect the rings are going out.  And I'm not putting the money into rebuilding this motor.  She'll be an A-B car and thats about it.

Unfortunately, I don't. I'm looking for a manual passenger side mirror myself, for the same reason! lol

John

Well, if you are interested...I'm trying to put together a yard day trip to Denver PnP with another friend of mine, perhaps we can all get together and make the drive over cheaper :P  Closest PnP's that I know of around here, unless you count Andersons in Kearney (don't even get me started on their overpriced junk...)

Edited by TheWanderer

Olstens...what a joke of a yard :rolleyes: I called them once to check on a price for a $15 jukyard part for my old Fiero (if memory serves it was a used MAS or some other sensor cheap sensor, been >5 years at this point) and they quoted me $150 plus shipping...So i went to Andersons and pulled it myself and still paid $45 :rolleyes: New it was only like $55, but no one had it in stock...

Maybe I'm a bit spoiled by the prices of the East U pull it yards lol

Anywho, enough of that.  Any chance you might have a compression tester?  Called mom and she can't find mine in my tool box back home, which leads me to believe its packed up in storage...

Edited by TheWanderer
  • Like 1

So I'm stumped. The Subaru has (had?) a cold idle issue. When I picked it up yesterday morning i had to sit with the gas floored and restart it about half a dozen times to get it to idle properly so I could drive it home. Once it warmed up it ran great. Just went out this morning (6 am, and 21 deg.) and she fired right up and idled fine. No problem at all.  Turned her off and let her cool down again, went back out at 7:30, and she fired right back up again and idled perfect.

Only thing I've done different since yesterday was run some Seafoam through the intake vacuum line off of the brake booster (1/2 of a can), Seafoam in the gas (1/4 of a can), and Seafoam in the oil (the last 1/4 can). Also put a half tank of gas in when I
left and drove it home.

And I never even touched the CTS... :confused:

I did find a fuel leak this morning though while sitting on a slight incline.  Its dripping very slowly (couple drops here and there) in front of the right rear wheel, near the tank and the line with the check valve in it.  Mostly coming from a small puddle on the frame.  Need to get it up in the air and see, but I suspect either a crack in the fuel tank (worst case), a dryrotted rubber line, or ?.  Hoping its just the rubber (cheap fix)...

I do have a compression tester! Although, it's an older one; would it work in the Subaru's spark plug holes? We could sure try it. 

When I first started thinking with my Subaru, I had a very similar experience. Siphoned out the old rotten had, put in fresh with a big shot of seafoam. Ran like crap. Finished filling the tank with fresh gas and ran much better! 

Mine still has a bit of a rough idle, which I think is related to a vacuum leak and/or timing. I'm goin to try advancing the plug whites one more tower, as I can't get the full twenty degrees BTDC as my manual calls for. 

I'll be in town Monday. 

John

• Like 1